What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Door handle

blahphish

Well Known Member
I installed the roll pin into my door handle today (section 45-13) and it was a very tight fit. Now that its in there, the spring doesnt have enough force to slide the mechanism. Seems like it should be able to move. Any advice?

DoorHandle-RV10.jpg

Polish the C-1007 to make sure that there isn't any corrosion on it. Also make sure that there aren't any burrs or corrosion on the inside of the door handle.

Mine were rough too, Although awkward, I used a file to get rid of the material that was causing the friction.

The springs are plenty strong. You just need to determine was is causing the friction and get rid of it.

bob

Last edited:
You will find the same thing with the inside release bar that goes inside handle with screw through center. Then again with outside handle release button hole. All that fitting/sanding/refitting 5-30 times will come in handy when you get to the cowling and baffles.

Yep.
Removed the pin.
Polished c-1007.
Also polished the slot on wd-1022.
Then reassembled everything with white lithium grease to make it all smooth and assist in keeping future corrosion out.

Phil

Also, check that the thumb lever isn't bent. Lay it on something flat and take a look at it.

Mine were bowed from being punched out and I had to straighten them out before it worked well. I also slightly enlarged the slot where the thumb button emerges from the square tube.

They're all silky smooth now.

Phil

Thanks everyone. Got it all smoothed out now with a little filing of the slot that the pin rides in and also some grease. Makes perfect sense now that I think about it although it would be nice if the instructions mentioned to check that the pin can freely move through the slot before you get it all put together. :rolleyes:

Mine were bowed from being punched out and I had to straighten them out before it worked well. I also slightly enlarged the slot where the thumb button emerges from the square tube. Phil

I forgot to mention this too. I had to do the same.

Door Handle,

Hopefully this week I will have some photos of a machined Aluminum Door Handle cover I am making to cover up the ugly stock handle. It will be about a 2 minute install and really make it much more attractive, yet keep the stock function of Vans handle. Email me if you want to be on the list of people I send photos to? [email protected] I will be posting on here too, but have had trouble getting my photos up on the posts.

Chris

I have some Van's door handles available, I am using aftermarket ones that are flush with the doors. If you are interested let me know.

Back