What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't install that firewall

Jeff R

Well Known Member
One great hint I picked up here was to not install the firewall when the instructions say to. I was a little hesitant to forego the installation, but after checking that I could indeed get the firewall back on again if just left it clecoed in, I am so glad I did.

I was really glad when I started installing the fuel vent lines and landing gear weldment. Everything was easy to reach (well, relatively easy).

When fitting the rudder components, I just pulled up a chair and it was piece of cake.

And, today, I jump ahead a bit and drilled the engine mount to the firewall. I just laid the firewall horizontally on a table, positioned the mount, clamped it down and drilled away (putting in a bolt after drilling each hole, of course). In reading other posts on drilling the engine mount, I thought it was going to be a pain and I would end up breaking several drill bits, but in maybe half an hour, I was done.

And, while it is still off, I started to drill the holes for the other firewall-mounted components, namely the master and starter relays. This is easy to do with the firewall lying flat on the table where gravity holds things in place for positioning and drilling.

So, I highly recommend delaying the attachment of the firewall until after you have taken delivery of the finishing kit (and firewall forward kit, for that matter).

When fitting the rudder components, I just pulled up a chair and it was piece of cake.

If you fit and drill the rudder peddle assembly's without the firewall in place to hold the proper width of the fuselage skins, how do you assure that the angles that the blocks get drilled too are the correct distance apart?

I don't think it matters

The rudder bars come pre-made so assuming you don't have to shorten the tube then it will be fine.

Remember the ends of the tube just slip into the nylon blocks so they can still move when the firewall goes on even after the blocks have been drilled to the angles.

Unless I'm missing someting?

Frank

The rudder bars come pre-made so assuming you don't have to shorten the tube then it will be fine.

Remember the ends of the tube just slip into the nylon blocks so they can still move when the firewall goes on even after the blocks have been drilled to the angles.

Unless I'm missing someting?

Frank

The blocks go on the ends of the peddle assemblies. The blocks are then match drilled to the fuselage sides. If after installing the firewall the fuselage changes width the peddle assemblies may no longer fit (if fuselage gets narrower than when it was drilled).

Back