What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't give up on your Hobbs....

gasman

Well Known Member
Friend
The standard Hobbs meter will still be there counting your aircraft hours well after your EFIS or EMS has failed or been replaced.

I was debating about putting in a Hobbs, but it isn't very expensive and, for the reason you gave, went on and added it. If one is otherwise lacking in panel space, I don't think it is that big a deal to leave it out, but engine time in an EFIS can be reset, so having a real Hobbs might give some extra credibility when you go to sell the airplane.

I did exactly this, Hobbs tied to an oil pressure switch, but have had trouble with the switch or the Hobbs (not sure which, but I think the switch), so it hasn't been as accurate as my Dynon.

greg

I have the same setup as Greg. I found my hobbs runs fast by about 10%. Must be one of those special units used on rentals.

You mean like this?

Taken a few evenings ago...

i-xFk9mfX-XL.jpg

Not running (let alone flying) yet, so accuracy has yet to be demonstrated.

If one is otherwise lacking in panel space, I don't think it is that big a deal to leave it out, but engine time in an EFIS can be reset, so having a real Hobbs might give some extra credibility when you go to sell the airplane.

Remember, it doesn't have to mounted in the panel. I can be behind the panel, under the panel, or even forward of the firewall.

Why....................?

You are not renting it !

I just do not get this Hobbs thing - use tacho, or whatever your EFIS gives you and pay attention to oil changes - the end :rolleyes:

Why....................?

You are not renting it !

I just do not get this Hobbs thing - use tacho, or whatever your EFIS gives you and pay attention to oil changes - the end :rolleyes:

Same for me - the first thing I did when I bought my first airplane (decades ago ) was to get rid of the Hobbs - I needed the panel space, and this was NEVER going to be rented to anyone....it was unconsciously symbolic, I think.

You can cheat the numbers with a Mechancial Tacho, Hobbs, or EFIS BTW....

Just my opinion, of course...do what works for you!

Paul

My "why" was that the Hobbs sits there with numbers on it whether or not the battery or engine is on. At the time of building, I hadn't trained myself to check the times on the Dynon before shutting down, and I could still look at the Hobbs after shutdown and determine my flying time. Of course if its not working properly, all bets are off. So now I'm using the Dynon more consistently for time.

Greg

i would say these hobbs are not what they are cracked up to be. my first one crapped out at 100 hours. at close to 4,000 the next one started acting up so a new oil pressure switch and hobbs installed. now my hobbs reads 40 hours. just like starting all over again except the eis has the correct time. seems like the log books would justify the real aircraft times.

Hobbs
a city in southeastern New Mexico, just west of the Texas border, southeast of Roswell; pop. 30,476 (est. 2008).

Hobbs, Sir Jack
(1882?1963), English cricketer; full name John Berry Hobbs. During his career (1905?34) he scored 61,237 runs and 197 centuries, and made 61 test appearances for England.

I have both Hobbs and Dynon. I like the Hobbs. It's like a hard copy. It's there and you can look at it anytime, even when the engine or Master is off. Amazingly, the Hobbs and Dynon Hobbs reading match perfectly after 480 hours. The Dynon Tech reading is 440 hours so there is a significant difference between the two.

Remember that the difference between "Hobbs time" and the data from a modern GPS has to do with what is triggering the input. My hobbs is ahead of my 430 because the Hobbs is hooked to an oil pressure switch, giving a reading of total engine run time. The GNS430 however, starts the time when it sees over 30 knots ground speed, giving you a flight time number. An old mechanical tach isn't really recording time, it is counting revolutions. Usually set up to show about an hour at normal cruise RPM.

As Paul said, none of it matters unless your are renting. :rolleyes:

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAAST Team Representative
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

The airplane doesn't care what you log for flight time, just look at your watch or the clock in the plane for flight time, or in my case the GRT EIS displays it with a single button push. Hobbs meters are better named money meters because the only thing they are good for is counting faster than tach time so the FBO can make more money on the rental especially on those long FBO made check lists and overkill run-ups when flying dual. In the planes we fly it is simply a waste of space and effort regardless of the cost.

I'll be the first to admit that installing a Hobbs wasn't rational- I just wanted it. I'm an enginerd... er, engineer. There's something strangely comforting about the mechanical dial, even though it's redundant (I have an EFIS and an EIS) and probably irrelevant. Like the odometer in my old truck that I've been driving much of my adult life. I've re-re-rebuilt that truck so many times from bumper to bumper that the mileage is meaningless, but I still pay attention to the spinning dials. Go figure...

Hobbs, no Hobbs? nosewheel-taildragger, prime-no prime....we all have wants and needs for our choices. I like using the Tach for engine times, but use the hobbs for flight times. Hobbs seem to better reflect the actual block to block time it takes me to go somewhere.

BTW- Aurora and I just went over 100hrs(hobbs) today. I flew to Helena(KHLN) and gave my boss his first RV ride. Hopefully we'll finish his RV-4 this summer.

aviation2012002.jpg

another tidbit for you builders: 156kts true burning 7.6gph

Back