What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't forget the screws in the Andair fuel valve

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - getting ready to start the engine for the first time and found one of those things that will keep you up at night.

I was going through my fuel system to make sure that everything was locked down... when I checked the one of the fuel lines going into the Andiar valve, the nipple came out of the valve still attached to the fuel line :eek:..... none of the screws that attach each of the nipples to the valve were installed :eek:

When I got home, I found the box the valve came in... and there were the screws with a note that they left them out incase you need to change the orentation of the nipples. This is the first thing in my build that I have screwed up so far that I think really could have killed me.... so if you are using an Andair valve, you might want to check to make sure you have those 8 small, but very important screws installed.

Jason

Good catch!

In addition, it says to use a punch to put a notch between the screw and the housing so as to mechanically prevent the screws from coming back out.
That is, once it is permanently installed.
This would be kind of difficult to do without removing the fuel valve.
Glad you caught it.

good catch Jason! Yes always a great idea to step back and take a second--or third look. Ernst's idea of stakeing the screw is also good.
Put this on your list of things to check after youve flown for a bit!

Proud of YOU!!
Tom

In addition, it says to use a punch to put a notch between the screw and the housing so as to mechanically prevent the screws from coming back out.
That is, once it is permanently installed.
This would be kind of difficult to do without removing the fuel valve.
Glad you caught it.

I had the same thing happen to me, and it is not possible to stake the screws after the valve is installed. I used red (permanent) loctite instead and added this as an inspection item on the annual checklist.

I had the same thing happen to me, and it is not possible to stake the screws after the valve is installed. I used red (permanent) loctite instead and added this as an inspection item on the annual checklist.

I used blue loctite which, IIRC, was called out in the instructions somewhere (or perhaps on-line or in a SB from Andair or something). That seem okay to everyone?

Steve

Back