What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't bend the rules

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
The NTSB today is out with a report on an experimental (non RV) crash last year. The pilot had stability problems, chose an inappropriate runway at a fly-in, wasn't current for carrying passengers, and apparently hadn't had a BFR in five years.

It's a sobering reminder to us that when we cut corners, we endanger ourselves and others.

This seems to be a particular problem among older pilots.

I really appreciate that the NTSB puts these reports out there so that we can learn from the mistakes of others.

Last edited:
Indeed Bob.

I wish our ATSB was as diligent.

Aviation is a very safe method of transport, but like sailing, very unforgiving of the foolish.

Last edited:
He also had not bothered with condition inspections for many years. And took off over gross. But the final nail was EGO. Several pilots, including a cfi, noted his difficulty enroute and offered some refresher training; pilot declined.

It hurts us all when people break the rules. I love that flying is not over policed and regulated. I have yet to be ramp checked. But when people ignore- more rules are made, and more conveniences lost

accidents

When control of an airplane is lost due to stall/spin more than a few feet above the ground it is almost always fatal and almost always pilot error.

For an example of how to survive a really ugly situation look up the accident report for 5/28/98. Cessna 414, North Platte NE, three on board, minor injuries. I worked with the pilot about two years after the accident. Most pilots, regardless of experience level, do not survive this type of accident because they lose control.
Moral: just like Bob Hoover, fly the airplane into the ground above stall and wings level.

He didn't bend the rules, he broke them.

Most of the rules and regulations we have, are written in blood.

Back