What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dog cargo capacity for RV-6

Cooperd0g

I am very interested in purchasing a flying RV. I really like the speed and efficiency coupled with the ability to tinker with it, but I have no desire to build. I saw a thread in the Acts of Charity where a guy was transporting a Golden Retriever in his baggage area of his 6. The dog in question was about 60-65 lbs.

I have two yellow labs. They are a bit bigger with my boy around 85 lbs and my girl around 70-75 lbs. After having read that thread and a few others about how to load an carry dogs I realized that you could keep the right seat out and have one in the baggage area and one where the right seat goes.

Van's website says the 6 baggage area has a max load of 60 lbs, but I have seen others on the forums say that their builder's kit says 100 lbs. All accounts of what I have read suggest that a 7 would be find for the weight of either of my dogs in the bag, but there are more 6's available for sale.

I understand that each plane is unique and could have weight and balance issues. That is something I would definitely check out, but I wanted to gauge if a 6 is really an option for me by putting my 70-75 lb girl in the back with my boy in the right seat.

thanks

For CG related answers find a RV weight and balance program that will allow you to plug in weights and get a quick answer. Personally my concern would be getting that heavy a dog into and out of the plane, but you may be far stronger than I am.

Keith,

Since you're in Reno, c'mon out to Stead sometime and take a look at some of the planes to get an idea of whether the pooches will fit comfortably. You may have looked at various RVs before, but there are 6's, 7's and 9's, with different interior styles that you can compare out here.

Shoot a PM, and we'll hook ya up with the bubbas.

Cheers,
Bob

I wouldn't do it

My -6 has an O-360 and a relatively heavy constant speed prop on it (hence, a relatively forward CG) and don't fly with 60# in the back. The plane feels too squirrelly with that sort of weight back there.

I did evacuate my 100# malamute in the -6 once with a little luggage in the back, but she was drugged and laid in the passenger's seat area. That worked fine. (We used a blanket lift to get her in and out.) Hardly practical for most flights.

But, other than the drugged dog (which had a seat belt through her harness), I personally wouldn't carry a dog outside their crate and the largest (soft side) crate that fits in the back of the -6 is on the small side even for my 30# Siberian. I doubt that a 60# dog would fit into it.

Different plane, different dog

We have flown with our 55 pound bulldog in the back of our -9 and he was fine. Of course, my wife is a Vet so the first time we put Torque for a ride, he was a drugged. Subsequent flights didn?t require the drugs and he has never been strapped down.

Hearing protection is paramount. In the case of our bulldog, we tried Mutt Muffs but they didn't fit his head very well so we used cotton stuffed in his ears. He didn't like it at first so Nora removed the cotton and then put it back in. At that point he stopped pawing at his ears.

He sleeps through most of the flights with the only problem being on landing. Then he likes to sit up and look out the window, while breathing down my neck. Good concentration exercise.

If you were wondering about his shirt in the above photo, here is a better picture.

I have had our 90Lb lab in the back of our 6 with no problems. The hardest part was getting him to fit under the passenger seat cross bar. Nice to have two people to load and unload so you don't have to jump off the wing with 90lbs in your arms. I could feel the weight back there but just be aware and fly the plane accordingly.

He sleeps through most of the flights with the only problem being on landing. Then he likes to sit up and look out the window, while breathing down my neck. Good concentration exercise.

Bill, How does he know when your in the landing phase? Ahhh, I forgot, he is a flying instructor!

Louise, I'd like to know what soft-side crate(s) you had good luck with. I'm looking for one that I can secure in the back sat of an RV-8. Any suggestions are welcome.

I use this one: http://www.firstrax.net/product.php?b=3&id=19. I picked it up at PetSmart. It's a tight fit in the back of the -6. Our 30#Siberian, "Kashmarik", fits fine. "Russka", the 50# Siberian, fits but I wouldn't make him stay in it very long.

Dogs in a 6A

I have flown quite a few missions for PnP and have had numerous dogs in my RV-6A. I have a 160 with constant speed prop and have had well over 50 lbs in the baggage compartment with no adverse effects. As for restraining the dogs, it depends on the animal. I would not want large dogs, that I am not very familiar with, unrestrained. I fly with my personal pet unrestrained, but he is a very good flyer and sleeps most of the time. If you remove the co-pilot seat and control stick, you can fit a medium size crate there, but I think your animals are both too big for that. If you tie the leash to the seat back brace to restrict them from crawling under the console, one in the baggage compartment and one in the seat space should work fine. Bob.

Bill, How does he know when your in the landing phase? Ahhh, I forgot, he is a flying instructor!

And an "English" flying instructor at that!

Our airport is really small and one of the first times we returned with him in the back the gang was standing at the end of the runway watching my landing. When I say small, they were standing maybe 30 to 40 feet from the edge of the 30 foot wide runway.

As we flew by the gang standing at the end of the runway, Torque was sitting up looking at them out the right side as we went by, with his tongue hanging out. I sure wish I had a picture of that!

Thanks to rvmills and the other fine folks at Stead airport I was able to get a good look at some 6, 7, and 9s today. My dogs are both pretty chill with me, but I would have them tethered to the back to prevent them from crawling over me for at least the first few flights. It really looks like it will work like rjaflys suggests - one in baggage and one in the right seat (with the seat and stick removed).

Now I only need my first choice employment to come through, then move and get settled, find a hanger, and my search for a 6 or 7 will be on!

Back