What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does not take long to screw up.

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
Well we were going great guns until I did something stupid.
Working on HS 702 and that nice bend thing. I read the instructions to look at the picture on the prints and saw the big arrow.... well bent 702 to 90 degrees... What happen I got the steps out of order and missed a few items. But the left side I got correct. I straightened out the right tab but called Vans and ordered another one... hey my life is going to be in this thing.
what did everyone do with the relief notch that is on the tab just smooth out the area between the two relief notches. I'll remind you that you had to trim the flange on 702 because what they send is for an RV 8. So you had a relief notch for the 8 and when you drill the new 1/8 hole for the new 6 degree bend you have anothe relief notch... I'll get this right... so dissappointing to flop so early.

Smilin' Jack
2079808250030256016WjbHmN_th.jpg

This is why Van was such a genius for selling us the tail kit to learn on first. Tail parts are cheap! :D

One good item... Rear Spar came out great..so far.

2149538110030256016S500x500Q85.jpg

The rear spar looks good.... can't wait to get this tail project completed... but I'll read a little better....
Smilin' Jack

My 2 cents

Jack,

I just finished riveting this section together over the weekend.

If I knew how to post a picture I would show you what I did. I just followed the relief notch detail shown on the plans, DWG 3. Drill the #30 hole, flip the part over and enlarge it to 1/4" just like the instructions say. Then I just took my snips and cut off the waste to make it look like the detail and smoothed it with a file. Then did a final sanding. I don't think this is all that critical as long as it is smoothed out in the end. That's what I did and it seemed to work just fine.

Ok I'll try adding in the picture.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8753/hsfrontsparrivets.jpg

Oh one more thing. From your picture of the rear spar I don't see the notches for the elevator control horns. I would have missed these too, but I saw a reference here so I looked more closely at the plans. There isn't any reference to these notches in the instructions.

Ray

Last edited:
Arnie and Ray,

On page 6-2 of the builders manual 3rd item from top it says to trim the inboard ends of HS702 as shown in the front spar Tab Detail. HS702 was designed for an RV-8 and will require extra triming for an RV 7

Well as 702 was already sent and had 2 relief notches @ 1/8 inch holes where RV 8 fellows would bend it already where the flange started when you trim off the extra flange to make it 5 3/16 to the new bend line you still have the old notches about 3/4 inch inward on that tab. since the relief holes are still partially there.

My tab is the correct width at 3 1/4 already.

Ray on the triming of the horizontal where the two HS 603PP come together. I did notice that.. and re read over the instructions to see if I missed it... you are correct I should do that before I start ever start riveting
I'll go to drg 27 to see if the dimensions are there.

thanks

Keep it coming
Smilin' Jack

Ray,
I did see that you do not have the additional notches for an rV-8 you might be correct that the fellow who had it before me made the notches in the wrong place.

I scoured Drg 27a to find how large of a tab you cut off of 603pp for the elevator control but did not see it,

so you remember?
Jack

spar notches

I wasn't sure about the exact size of the notches either since it doesn't show up on the drawings. I held the elevator control arms in place on the bearing and estimated the width needed. I made mine 7/8" wide and 3/8" deep. I'm not sure if this is exactly right since I don't know how far the control arm needs to move. It works out to be about even with the top surface of the stiffeners. It would be really nice if they had this dimension on the drawings.

I still don't understand why you would have any additional notches. The HS-702 I received with my -8 tail kit definitely came without notches or holes. Here is one before and one after making the notch:

2010-06-07_01.jpg

A couple more ideas

Let me clarify that I wasn't talking about notches in the HS-702. I was referring to the rear spar. Sorry I don't have the plans at work to refer to the exact part number.

Now back to the HS-702 (front spar) I seem to remember some confusion on my part with the instructions since they refer to additional trimming for the RV7, but if you check the dimensions the part was already fabricated correctly for the RV7. If for some reason you didn't check the dimensions and just followed the instructions you might end up with an error. Just trying to explain what could have happened. That of course assumes I didn't make a mistake myself :rolleyes:

I see what you mean. I got a new construction manual when I ordered the training kit and it states
The same thing in it as the 2005 copy in this kit. Perhaps I should use the newer manual as it would have any changes in it I would hope.
I am going to have to be careful as the previous owner of this empenage kit started several items at the same time he told us that he n ever touch it but now we just found all the lightening holes on the VS
Already drawn out. Makes me wonder if he bought it from some one else. That being said I'll take it nice and slow and double check all the parts.

I'll see what the 2 new HS 702 look like from Vans
They should be here by tomorrow

Smilin jack
Ordered

Like to try to make a bigger picture to show the notches and what I did.
Smilin' Jack
2079808250030256016S425x425Q85.jpg

I don't quite understand the extra notches inboard of the bend line...here is what mine looked like (this is after the first rough trimming, before edge finishing/priming/etc.).

DSC_2420.jpg

DSC_2419.jpg

DSC_2421.jpg

Also...think ahead! There is a definite up and down, top and bottom to the angle aluminum pieces that make up the spar, and if you get them wrong, you'll be messed up when you go to mate to the fuselage (no, I didn't make this mistake :) ).

No parts from Vans yet today. boy am I itching to do something.. but I did read more of the manual.
You just have to be really careful in the reading and not jump to conclusions about what they are trying to do.

maybe I'll get a good day in tomorrow. I'd like to get all the dimpling done on HS 702 and the rear spar on Hs 603PP I guess I could do it now but I'll keep things in order.

Smilin' Jack

Just to let you know the new HS 702 spars came in. We have been busy with a lot of stuff but have both skins on now and just have to finish match drilling the right skin.
Every thing is going gang buster. thanks for all the help so far guys.

Hopefully we'll get it all apart tomorrow, mark the parts up, right, left and down so we know where they all go and get it deburred and hopefully in a day or so get it primed.
We've just up loaded a lot of pictures to web shots... so I'll be posting a site here. Have 27 pages in my builder log at home already printed...

I am a happy fly boy tonight.
Smilin' Jack

Jack,

I found a couple more bits of information on the HS-603PP slots.

First I found a picture on Walter Tondu's site of the slots. He cut slots, I just took off the entire corner of the flange.

http://www.rv7-a.com/127_2798.jpg

I also included a picture of what I did. All disclaimers apply.

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/4800/hs603ppnotch.jpg

Also I found on DWG 5, detail A the drawing is to scale so you measure it for the notch width.

P.S. I've got to figure out how to put the pictures inline versus a link.

Tapering

This may sounds rediculously stupid but o well....

I need to taper the two fron spars and I am not sure how to exactly do it, all the directions show is how how deep to start the taper yet it doesnt show how much to take off etc... Is it just a "feel" type think just on the rear spars or is there a template I should outline on it to make sure I take off enough?
Thanks,
Ian

This is for an RV-8

Those little sweeps are basically done by feel. Or should I say just go off tangent to the hole back to the edge of the spar.

Back