What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does it matter?

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
I'm working on the tie-down bar (W-933). Drawing 11 detail Section A-A shows the bar attach bolts coming in through the forward side of the spar. Drawing 9 shows those bolts coming in through the aft side of the spar. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Tom

Forward

The tie downs will be forward of the spar. The aileron pushtube bellcrank will attach aft of the spar and their bolts will go through the tiedown bar.

Yes

Thanks Fearless that much I understood. I'm just asking from which sides do the AN3-5A bolts enter? There's a conflict between the two drawings.

T.

FWIW, I don't think it matters much but, DWG 9 detail B on the right side of drawing shows same direction as DWG 11. I also went back and looked at pictures I made during my build and I installed as per DWG 11 and DWG 9- Detail B on right side of sheet. I also think that convention would have the bolt entering from normal direction of aircraft flight which would be like shown on DWG 11.

Good luck
Bill

Thanks

Bruce - makes sense to have the nuts visible for inspection. Is that what you ended-up doing?

Just a note

to say that as a standard, if possible bolts on an aircraft should face aft, or down. Of course that is not always possible.

bird

Picture shows it all

Mike H has an excellant picture of what you should end up with.

The nuts for the bolts holding the tie down bar will be on the aft side of the spar so you can inspect them through the bellcrank access panel. The nutplates for the bellcrank bolts are on the forward side of the tiedown bar because once you rivet the leading edge skin onto the spar you will not be able to get a wrench in there. Make sure you torque the nuts for the bolts holding the tiedown bar on and put torque seal on the nuts (to show they have been torqued) before you rivet your leading edge skin on. Unless you have really long arms I don't think you can get back in there with a wrench.

Last edited:
Mike H has an excellant picture of what you should end up with.

The nuts for the bolts holding the tie down bar will be on the aft side of the spar so you can inspect them through the bellcrank access panel. The nutplates for the bellcrank bolts are on the forward side of the tiedown bar because once you rivet the leading edge skin onto the spar you will not be able to get a wrench in there. Make sure you torque the nuts for the bolts holding the tiedown bar on and put torque seal on the nuts (to show they have been torqued) before you rivet your leading edge skin on. Unless you have really long arms I don't think you can get back in there with a wrench.

I'm building a 7, not a 9 (but I try to read all the different model forums), and please don't take this the wrong way, not trying to criticize, but...this makes no sense.

If you can't get a wrench onto a part after assembly, then it should be installed in a permanent manner (rivets, here). There'd be no point to using bolts/nuts, since you could never disassemble/reassemble/tighten/whatever the part.

It's a reach, but you can get to it (at least on mine). Your suggestion is good, though, provided the hammering/vibration from the riveting doesn't loosen the bolts (shouldn't, I'd think).

Back