What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do the plans specify which parts need to be primed?

uuacallis

So I am not trying to open up another primer war, so lets just assume you choose NOT to prime anything except what is required (steel etc), do the plans tell you which parts need to be primed?

Before someone comes back with the standard answer of "Anything that isn't Alclad needs to be primed", I know that, what I am asking is if there is anything that identifies a specific part as requiring priming other then me knowing that the specific part isn't Alclad.

thanks

Adam,
Short answer is yes. At least on the older plans, where you had to fabricate a lot of your own parts. The plans would tell you to prime. But now it's my understanding that some of these brackets are factory built, so I'm not sure about the latest kits. But my plans (within the past 2-yrs) did tell me specific stuff to prime.

Here is an example:

Page 23-06 Step 4: Remove, debur and prime the Longerons F-1255-L &-R.

-Dave

Last edited:
As Gary said, apart from the generic instructions, there are a few places in the plans where you are specifically required to prime parts.

Here is an example:

Page 23-06 Step 4: Remove, debur and prime the Longerons F-1255-L &-R.

-Dave

I suspect the plans have changed a little since page 23-06 is about installing the side skins. While I haven't started the fuse yet, I do have the kit and plans. I didn't see anything there about primer.

Good question though, I've wondered myself.

Bob

Thanks all for the help, I am just really confused. Looking through the parts that came as part of the empennage kit, I am not seeing anything that needs to be primed, yet I am sure there are many pieces that do. I guess I need a better way of knowing that something needs to be primed.

As for the serial number, I am 120783

Thanks,

Look in the general instructions 1-5:

"5A ALUMINUM & PRIMING & PAINTING
All non-alclad aluminum parts such as 6061-T6 must be primed. Tubing must be primed both inside and out"

For example the tail skid F-1211G is 6061 and needs to be primed.

Adam,

Wow almost to 800 RV-12 starts. Thanks for the info.

As you know, some builders prime everything.

I don't. Eventually I will use corrosion-X.

I do not prime alclad (generally parts with the protective plastic).

I do prime everything the plans specify and non-alclad pieces. This would include parts made of 6061 and extrusions. For example, I primed the F-1211G tail skid bracket even though the plans on page 10-04 do not specify priming. But in a way the plans intro chapter section on priming did.

Hoped this helps.

-Dave

Last edited:
Ok, I follow you guys so far, but how did you know that the specific part mentioned was 6061? Is that listed in the plans somewhere? Sorry for being such a newb, just don't want to mess up and want to learn the ways of the master builders out there.

Thin and shinny (and most of the time protected by blue plastic) is alclad (ribs,skins etc.), thick dull aluminum like angles, tie down brackets etc is 6061. If you are not sure see chapter 4, parts index (there is a lot of information in chapter 1 to 5).

Back