What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do Tank DImple Dies Work?

David Paule

Well Known Member
A friend was looking at one of my tanks after I'd riveted it, using a dab of tank sealant in the dimples. She remarked that the line of rivets felt so smooth. These are some of those rivets. You can see the sealant at the edges of the head.

104rhj4.jpg

Then I showed her a scrap tank that I keep around for riveting practice. Nothing like having real parts to practice on, sigh. She could easily feel the difference. These rivets are underflush enough to feel, except maybe the one on the bottom right. This was riveting practice, remember, and several people have tried it on this tank.

bi78dx.jpg

Both tank skins were dimpled with the same tank dimple dies by Cleaveland.

Dave

Do tank dimple dies work?

Depends on your goal. Did you have one in mind?

Tank dies

From your photos, I would say they work. It looks like they did exactly what they are supposed to do. I got the same results and was glad I chose them.
Did you use tank dies on the ribs or did you use substructure dies?
I used substructure.

Dan, this is on an RV-3B, a slow-build kit of a slow build airplane, and hate to admit it but I'm going - you guessed it - slowly. It'll be a while.

What do you predict?

Thanks,
Dave

I think the recommended use of tank dies is to use them on both the skins and the ribs. What if I used regular dies already on the skins and tank dies on the ribs? Would it be bad to proceed or should I go back and re-dimple the skins with the tank dies before I continue?

There are "substructure" dies (from Cleaveland??) that dimple slightly deeper than even the "tank" dies. I found that using these lets skin dimples made with tank dies nest better.

A skin dimple from a "standard" die would nest necely in a rib dimple made by a tank die, but there would still be the issue of the sealant causing the rivet to stand slightly proud in the standard dimple. Many have built RVs with a single set of dies, but I just didn't seem to be able to make it work.

Back