What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

do I need a different oil sump?

avq

I have been rebuilding an O-320-A2A and I am wondering if I am going to need a new oil sump.

I have been told the sump I have can interfere with the straight mount of an RV-7 because the intake tubes are towards the rear of the sump. Do I need to change out my sump to the D or E style O-320s?

DSC02347.jpg

Thanks!

I have a B2B and I had to change my sump out because the position of the carb interfered with the nose wheel strut. I'm thinking there is no issue with the taildraggers.

Last edited:
It's a nose gear issue - interference carb to nose strut.

I do have a sump that will fit if you want to convert to a -A model though...:)

It will interfere

Thanks Guys!

I just called Vans and Scott mentioned the intake pipes will interfere because they sit further back than D or E style sumps.

I thought I was clear because I am building a tail dragger but I guess not...

good thing new sumps and pipes are relatively cheap! :)

On my B2B, I also had to change the way the oil is picked up from the sump. Originally, there was a pipe that sat in the sump. The new sump picks up the oil from the bottom and it flows through a passage in the wall of the sump. You also have to fashion a small plate to plug up the original pick up where the pipe was previously attached.

I called Mattituck and they were very helpful. I bought everything but the sump from them. I got a great price on a yellow tagged sump from this list.

I have some pix if you want to take a look at what I'm talking about. I was pretty worried about it but it was very easy.

Last edited:
sump

The small number opf production aircraft that used this sump did not use a cup type mount(engine mount assembly) With the standard cup type mount used on most homebuilts and production aircraft, the edge of the cup will contact the intake tube.

Back