What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do I need a bigger alternator?

AAflyer

Well Known Member
OMG?After finally finalizing the final electrical load plan for my RV-8, it looks like I'll need a 70 amp alternator. Wha!?!:eek:

I'm installing a Vertical Power VP-X electronic circuit breaker system, along with a straight-forward 10" Dynon SkyView; single comm, Transponder, ADS-B, EMS. My big loads are: landing/taxi lights, cigarette-lighter style power port ( possible electric heater?) LED strobes/position lights, heated pitot.
When I add all the stuff up I get load of over 60 amps!
Can I consider the landing lights as intermittent? How about the pitot heat?
I can't believe I've got THAT much more than today's average -8.
Comments?

Out of curiosity, can you break down the individual loads? I'm curious how much you are assigning to each. Thanks!

Landing/taxi lights?

My plane had a theoretical max draw approaching 60 amps.
I have a 60a B&C alternator.
EFIS 2 nav comm, XPDR, a/p, heated pitot etc...
I never really saw cruise flight draws greater than say 45a. But always thought I could stress the alternator less.

Over time I replaced the whelen strobes with LED and the HID landing and taxi lights with Parmetheus. Comfortably reduced the max draw by 10a.

Also got an extra 30nm VOR range....:) my (2008 vintage) HIDs were horrible for radio noise.

You most likely never have all of your devices on at one time. I see this a lot on VP-X config reviews. I'm more than happy to take a look at your system configuration if you want to send me the request for review.

Back