What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DJM Throttle Quadrant Stiction/Crosstalk

kibrickj

Any thoughts or experience on any possible ways to improve DJM throttle quadrants on the margin to further minimize slop/crosstalk/give. Quadrant is beautiful, but at least mine as produced has a more give/crosstalk between controls (flat top, 3 controls for RV8) than I'd like. Tightening friction control only partially mitigates issue.

Excluding obvious (vernier controls for say mixture and prop), I was thinking a little solder on bottom brass stays where they contact bottom front/back bolts/aluminum spacer to minimize slop, and hence minimizing "cross talk" between controls. There's some play where there brass stays contact the bolts/aluminum spacers, so the idea would be that the solder would help fill the void which allows some movement of the stays. The solder would only stick to brass but that's probably ok.

Another idea I saw on forum was to add ptfe washers between controls at the bottom/center single friction control. Seems like strategically placed PTFE washers would make a big difference. Maybe 1 on each side of the particular control arm. May only 1 on the inside from the mixture, 1 on the inside from the throttle the mixture, and ? at the center prop control. PTFE has a very, very low coefficient of friction, so I would think it would help.

Thoughts? Figured no need to re-engineer what others may have thought about before. Guessing there is no perfect solution otherwise DJM would already be doing it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it can't be better on the margin.

Last edited:
Back