What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY Landing/Taxi Lights

Lionclaw

Well Known Member
I like the look of the Duckworks kits, but the way they are aimed doesn't seem very precise. I haven't heard anyone else complain about it, so maybe it isn't a problem.

In any case, I decided to design my own and I was hoping to get some feedback.

I haven't completed the model, so you'll have to use some imagination. The reflector is from the cheapo harbor freight lights and is sandwiched between two pieces of aluminum which get fastened together. The light subassembly will attach with 3 machine screws into nutplates on the frame. There will be springs in between the light subassembly and the frame.

inner_light_assembly.jpg

I like the look of the Duckworks kits, but the way they are aimed doesn't seem very precise. I haven't heard anyone else complain about it, so maybe it isn't a problem.

In any case, I decided to design my own and I was hoping to get some feedback.

I haven't completed the model, so you'll have to use some imagination. The reflector is from the cheapo harbor freight lights and is sandwiched between two pieces of aluminum which get fastened together. The light subassembly will attach with 3 machine screws into nutplates on the frame. There will be springs in between the light subassembly and the frame.

inner_light_assembly.jpg

Andy,

Very nice model! One reason you may not have heard anything about the lack of "precision" in aiming the Duckworks is because of how the aimpoint of landing lights will vary depending on airspeed and angle of attack on short final.

If we landed at exactly the same speed and AOA every time, precise light adjustment might be useful. But since we don't, and the Duckworks have a wide enough beam to cover variations in arrival speed, the standard setup works pretty well.

Nice Sam...

Looks like a well engineered alternative. The DW lamps in the round version (100Watt) seem to cast a wide beam, and work pretty well regardless of the small changes in approach angle. An easier approach to adjustment will be a welcome upgrade.
Regards,
Chris

aiming landing/taxi lights

I have installed the mounting brackets for my DW lights but am now wondering if most guys feel a need to aim the lights inward a bit, machine gun style. Comments?

Back