What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Distortion in E-616, trim cable access panel.

I had some distortion, so far, it is has not been an issue.

Last edited:
Mine is not distorted like that. The nut should be welded to the plate at an angle that enables the cable to come out without bending the 616 plate much if any. It almost looks like your nut is welded at 90 degrees to the plate.

-Rob

Thanks for fixing photo link

O.K., now that I can see the other two photos, and I agree, the distortion is way more than what I have.

Just as a data point, I am using the billet cable mounts.

Mine was not warped like that...

like Rob said the bracket may not be welded at the proper angle. I used pop rivets per plans and it turned out great...if I ever have to redo it I will use screws and the billet aluminum. That access panel and the aileron trim access panels would not hurt being slightly thicker. They both flex too much for me. When they crack down the road I'll fix it right then.

Hmmm! What I have installed are the Billet style trim cable retainers.

I bought them from here ---> http://www.wix.com/capsteve/iflyrv10#!__store

I don't know what to do to fix this! =/

Is anyone willing to take some pictures of their own installed E-616 plate, so that I can see for myself what others are experiencing?

Best Regards,

Andrew Boyd

Mike, good question.

Because I thought someone, at some point, would ask me that question, I went ahead and took some pictures showing my installation.

https://picasaweb.google.com/drewho...?authkey=Gv1sRgCOiIhYfqpOaiVw&feat=directlink

I went ahead and also uploaded those newest, pictures at my "picture link", above, at 4:30pm central daylight savings time.

Would you take a look at the new pictures (pic's 4 thru 9), and see if you can figure out where I'm going wrong?

Note: As currently setup up, I have the trim tabs operating thru the angle range prescribed by vans, so I'm hoping I don't have to change anything.
More importantly though, if there is consensus that I need to change something, to make the distortion go away, then I'll get back in there and make the modification, right away.

Let me know!!

-Andrew

Last edited:
Can you explain

like Rob said the bracket may not be welded at the proper angle. I used pop rivets per plans and it turned out great...if I ever have to redo it I will use screws and the billet aluminum. That access panel and the aileron trim access panels would not hurt being slightly thicker. They both flex too much for me. When they crack down the road I'll fix it right then.

Wayne,

I'm just a day or so away from fastening my brackets to those plates. I have the same billet alluminum brackets Andrew shows in his pictures that I bought from iflyrv10. Would you mind explaining what you mean exactly about screwing the brackets to the plates and why? -- and how, exactly, while you're at it.

Last edited:
Looks good to me...

possibly due to thin metal and/or check to ensure cable is not putting tension on it by sticking in snap bushing or nose rib. As I recall mine was tough to move back and forth. It is not here to look at right now though.

Andrew, looking at your latest pictures (picture #8 specifically), it looks like you drilled the wrong hole for the cable to pass through. Page 9-4, Step 2 says to drill the bottom of the two holes, but it looks like you drilled the top one. Alternatively, you could have accidentally switched the left and right spars after drilling the holes (because they're otherwise symmetrical).

-Rob

Last edited:
I don't have the aluminum billet version

but what you would like to accomplish is to be able to install and adjust the bracket(steel or alum) then install access plate to bracket with 4 ea #8 csk screws.

You would need to drill 4 holes #19 and dimple csk flush outside on access panel.

If your alum bracket is thick enough...it needs to be 5/16" or greater to allow for #8 mach csk which uses approx 1/16" of your thread and still have at least 1/4" good thread remaining. Then you can drill your bracket with #30(for alum) not #29, then tap 4 ea holes in your alum bracket for 8-32 screw. Then using a #40 machine csk or deburring bit w/extension in your drill mach csk for #8 skin dimple into bracket.

If your bracket is not thick enough then you will have to install corner type nutplates onto upper side bracket and drill bracket to #19. Nutplate attach rivets flush on bracket-access panel mating surface. Use boelube or kerosene or kerosene-lard mixture for your tapping lubricant. Use MS24694-S5 or proper length screw. Apply removable loctite 242 upon final assembly before first flight unless nutplates are used.

Hope this helps.

Wayne, if memory serves me correctly the alum. brackets are already drilled and tapped. I would say Rob has identified the problem, good call Rob.
Ron

Rob Kochman,

Your statement, that I must have switched my Left and Right Elevator front spars, is precisely correct.

I'm 100% certain that I had everthing perfect up until priming the elevators, and then I mixed those two up.

Basically I had a system, where all of the "Left" elevator parts would be on the South end of the garage, and the "Right elevator parts would be on the North end of the garage.

While, this system has been working well, I do recall one evening after a 14 hour binge on building, that I got a little confused, and switched those two! Grrrr!!! I'm frusterated with myself.

The good news is, if I unbolt my Elevators, I should be able to drill the lower hole, and add a snap bushing there.
Yes, there will be two 5/8" holes near each other, but structurally the elevators will still be sound.

Ron, thank you again for being so observant. Pictures really do "say a thousand words", and you've caught my blunder, in that I am indeed using the wrong cable routing hole!

Best Regards,

Andrew Boyd

I would call Vans and make sure your assumption about multiple holes is okay with them. The webbing of your HS spar is critical for keeping your HS from folding in flight.

A Minor Clarification........

I would call Vans and make sure your assumption about multiple holes is okay with them. The webbing of your HS spar is critical for keeping your HS from folding in flight.

While I agree to call Vans, this is the elevator, not the stab.

Yeah, I will call VAN's, but just so you know, the HS 5/8" hole is perfectly located.

It's the Elevator 5/8" hole location, that is the issue.

See the link to my pictures (in the 1st post of this thread), for more details.

-Andrew

Dont forget to de-burr the holes.

P1030312.JPG

Mike,

Will do!!

Also, I can never seem to get my posts to "just show the picture", like you just did.

One person said that I need to do this -->

but when I try that, it doesn't work.

What am I missing?

What mouse clicks are you doing, in order to grab my picture from the photo album, and make it render, right here in the VAF?

-Andrew

Last edited:
Mike,

I will do!!

Also, I can never seem to get my posts to "just show the picture", like you just did.

What mouse clicks are you doing, in order to grab my picture from the photo album, and make it render, right here in the VAF?

-Andrew

I click your link, open the photo I want to copy, put the cursor on the photo, and right click. Then I select "copy image location" from the dropdown list, and then go back to my reply, and put the cursor on the place I want the image to be. Next I click the icon "yellow sky/mountain" above-----hover on it and it will say "insert image". Then I paste the borrowed image location in the box that opens in the "insert image" window.

I am not sure if this is something that is particular to being a Firefox user;)-----or is something others can do.

Hmmm,

I just tried that.

It must be a FireFox thing, because when I pasted the URL using the box that came up, after I clicked on the "yellow sky/mountain" icon, it didn't seem to work (as can be seen from the link, below). =/

Thanks any way, Mike.

TrimAccessPanelE616Question

Last edited:
Hmmm,

I just tried that.

It must be a FireFox thing, because when I pasted the URL using the box that came up, after I clicked on the "yellow sky/mountain" icon, it didn't seem to work (as can be seen from the link, below). =/

Thanks any way, Mike.

TrimAccessPanelE616Question

Andrew,

It's not working for you because you're inserting a link to the web page containing the image rather than the image file itself. As an experiment, hit the "quote" button on your post that didn't work and look at the stuff between the [IMG] tags. Notice that when Mike did it or the example below (click "quote" to see), there is a .jpg extension in there between the tags. From Internet explorer, you can right click the image (as Mike did) and choose properties. Then copy/paste the link from the "Address" field.

Here's another example below.
[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_f48NKXuyrmU/TYi7_5RYLjI/AAAAAAAAASA/ZqtF4ikFrIU/s640/p1030303-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back