What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Distorted Sidetone- Pilot Side Only

jte65

Well Known Member
I had the opportunity to finally test all of my avionics last night. The only issue I encountered was distortion of the sidetone when transmitting on the pilot side. Reception on a handheld radio was clear however and it is clear when speaking through the intercom (hence, does not seem to be a headset or wiring problem). I did not get similar sidetone distortion on the co-pilot side using the same headset.

I was able to completely clear it up by decreasing the sidetone levels on the comm to 40 (default was 128). Anyone else encountered this? Hoping Stein will see this and might have some ideas as well. Perhaps all is fine now that I have cleared it by changing the radio settings. However, I did not expect to have to make this change and did not recall anyone else reporting a similar problem.

Jeff

Sounds like you made the right change. If it is an SL 30 or SL 40, you can change the sidetone level to 000, and it will track the volume level. Nice feature.

Vic

SL-40 Intercom Settings

If you use the built in intercom you will need to adjust the factory settings to achieve best results. I got a lot of feedback and distortion on my first flight.
Here are the settings for my RV-6A that may help you get in the ball park.
Your RV12 cabin acoustics will probably be a little different.

HEADPHONE LEVEL 000 (slave to volume control)
MIC 1 SQUELCH 009 (Bose x)
MIC 2 SQUELCH 012 (Flight Com)
INTERCOM LEVEL 030
SIDE TONE 000 (slave to volume control)
MIC XMIT option 1,2,or both. If both, then both mics will xmit when either 1 OR 2 is pushed. Open mic 2 can pick up cabin noise.

sidetone

Thanks guys for the quick replies.

Thanks Peter- I thought most of the avionics came already set for the RV-12. If your comm had these settings zeroed out, then mine was not set the same as neither is zeroed out. Guess I should try that but wonder if there are any other settings I need to change for optimal operation. Hoping Stein will see this- alternatively, I might send them a quick message.

Jeff

Back