What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dissecting proseal tube

Manchu16

Well Known Member
Is there a trick or a way to separate part A and B in a tube like the one pictured so I can mix smaller amounts individually. I have 3 things I need a small amount of Proseal for and I would rather spread the work over a few nights and not have to rush through it.

Thanks.
IMG_1005.jpeg

Not easily. Internally, there is turbine looking mixer buried in the base material. The catalyst is in a sealed dasher rod that breaks open when you plug it. There is a powered mixer most folks haven't seen unless in the industry that will rotate the contents via the holes in the handle while the tube is raised up and down, much like a golf ball washer. I have mixed thousands of these, and they are intended to do the exact ratio without weighing the 2 parts. You can buy the same sealant in can form with the catalyst in a smaller container, but need scales to determine proper mix accurately. It's a sure way to achieve a bad set-up if mixed improperly.

I did. I don't remember, but it wasn't difficult. I transferred contents to tiny metal paint cans. The black stuff has a protective barrier so it can't contaminate the proseal. Seems like I just pulled the black thing out and squished it into a can. The proseal had to be removed with a stick I think. Sorry, I've slept since then.

Pull the plunger as far as it will go and unscrew to separate the two. If you have a sealant gun, you can use it to push the cartridge contents out into another container. You can insert the black rod into the mixer rod and drive the contents into it's own container. You are better off getting set up to do all the work at one time rather than trying to only mix small amounts. IF you don't want to do that, maybe get the can kit and sell/trade the tubes to someone that will use them in a single session.

BTW...the old style bench mixer for the cartridges will run you over $10K...

Pull the plunger as far as it will go and unscrew to separate the two. If you have a sealant gun, you can use it to push the cartridge contents out into another container. You can insert the black rod into the mixer rod and drive the contents into it's own container. You are better off getting set up to do all the work at one time rather than trying to only mix small amounts. IF you don't want to do that, maybe get the can kit and sell/trade the tubes to someone that will use them in a single session.

BTW...the old style bench mixer for the cartridges will run you over $10K...
At my day job we have them mounted in .any places, and yep, 10K. Looks like shoe box with a motor inside. Many of us just use a Christmas tree rotary file in a drill motor...jam it in the end after removing the dasher rod and spin it while moving in and out. Works like a charm.

Back