What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DirectToMetalPaint

Gandalf

Well Known Member
Hi... I am at the point where I want to paint any exposed interior surfaces that will not be covered with the upholstery kit such as the seat backs, "arm rest" , roll bar and while I am at it perhaps the exterior steps. I have been priming with rattle can acid etch primer and this is the first time that I plan on adding a finish paint. I have read here that folks are using glossy appliance paint for the interior. I found Direct To Metal Paint at Sherwin Williams. They will tint to match the color of the pedals and can the paint into rattle cans. So, sorry for the long wind up.

My question is, should I acid etch prime the parts and then spray with the direct to metal paint OR just spray the dtm paint directly onto the aluminum?

Also, will the longeron show such that I should final paint the longeron?

Thanks,
Jeff

I'm not familiar with the paint you mention, but I had GREAT success with the NAPA self-etch primer, covered with the gloss white Rustoleum appliance paint. It's very very tough so far. While I'm not flying yet, I've been in and out of the plane hundreds of times so far. It still looks great.

As far as what will be visible, go to Vans website. There are interior photos of the three levels of interior trim available. Those pics will show you what will be visible- based on whichever trim package you choose.

I'm not familiar with the paint you mention, but I had GREAT success with the NAPA self-etch primer, covered with the gloss white Rustoleum appliance paint. It's very very tough so far. While I'm not flying yet, I've been in and out of the plane hundreds of times so far. It still looks great.

Hi Gary... OK. I am also using automotive self-etch primer. I went to the rustoleum site and they actually recommend against priming the surface of the appliance! However, I am going to prime and paint as you did since you have had good luck with this combination.

My understanding of rustoleum paint is that it contains acid and that is how it works against rust. So it makes sense to me that acid etch primer and rustoleum probably are very compatible.

I am going to go the airport and look at the two finished RV12s with an eye to what to paint.

Thanks,
Jeff

Oh. So what I am saying is that I think Rustoleum Appliance paint is also a DirectToMetal paint.

dtmPaint.jpg

Success using custom tinted rattle can paint.

Last edited:
Back