What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimpling vs countersink the side skins

ddnebert

Well Known Member
I am working on the slow-build -10 and am in the process of dimpling the main side skins (F-1069 and F-1070). The directions indicate not to dimple or drill the rivets aft of the rear seat support on either side. Paging forward a few sections, they suggest countersinking the skin instead of the longerons. I am tempted to match drill, CS the longerons, and dimple the skin, like everywhere else. Don't like the idea of thinning out a thin skin and increasing structural integrity.

The do-not-drill-or-dimple also applies to the top line of aft rivet holes that are where the fiberglass top will mate. I assume these will eventually get dimpled but I can do that manually later.

What do other builders think?

The do-not-drill-or-dimple also applies to the top line of aft rivet holes that are where the fiberglass top will mate. I assume these will eventually get dimpled but I can do that manually later.

What do other builders think?
Yes, and I stayed with the instructions and would not change it if I ever had to do it again.
Gary

The reason for this is to give you enough flexibility when attaching the tailcone so that everything lines up. Notice that on page 32-3 you bolt the main and tailcone longerons together before you match drill that area on the next page. If you match drill those holes now, without any reference to aligning those longerons in the right position vertically, you may find that when you go to attach your tailcone, you either won't be able to get the longerons to align to bolt together, or you'll have a gap between skins because you'll have to force the longerons into alignment, or the holes where the two skins overlap won't line up. They're having you leave those open so that there's enough bend area left in the longeron to get everything lined up properly.

Personally, I had a hard enough time getting everything to line up and overlap properly when attaching the tailcone. This is one area where I wouldn't mess with Van's instructions. YMMV.

Also, the holes along where the fiberglass top mates will need to be done later. You won't be able to match drill into the cabin top accurately if you dimple them now.

PJ Seipel
RV-10 #40032

Last edited:
Gotta agree with Gary & PJ,

Every time I thought I knew better but continued with the instructions it made sense later on...OHHHHH that's why, was muttered a few times. Several times I would skip ahead in the plans to see why. I always ordered the next kits plans with each order ie, I ordered the wing plans with the Emp kit...gave lots of insight on what lie ahead.

Back