What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimpling and Riveting the Aft Ribs on the Rudder

flyer76

Any suggestions on dimpling and riveting the last 5ish holes on the upper and lower ribs for the rudder?

Dimple with the Avery vice grip dimpler, bending the flange enough to get in there. Back rivet on a back rivet plate and hit the last couple of rivets with a masonry chisel and a flat set that you're willing to destroy. Works like a charm.

This worked for me. It's from Cleaveland Tools. A rivet gun with dimple die set works better than a hammer.
DIE4263DF-Large.jpg

A pop rivet dimpler also works very well.
With the pop rivet dimpler, you don't have to "un-bend" the flange quite as much.
I'm NOT saying that un-bending the flange is a problem. I also find that the vice-grip dimpler works quite well.

It worked for me

I drilled a #40 hole and then machined a countersink in one leg of a short length of steel angle stock. Position the hole close to an edge. It might've been 1/4" thick stock. Clamp the undrilled leg in your bench vise. Slip the rib over the angle stock. Use the male dimple die and the arbor from the C-frame dimpler. Be sure to keep things square as the dimple die pilot can break off. I know.

Back