What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimpled prior to deburring

mccartam

I'm New Here
New builder here, been lurking on the forums for awhile but finally settled on building the -7 and ordered the emp kit. I've hit what may be my first snag. During the process of preparing one of the HS702 spars I dimpled the 4 rivet holes that attach it to HS710 and HS714 without first deburring. My question is what to do about it? Do I call Vans and order a replacement, leave it as is and build on, attempt to debur after dimpling??

Welcome

Welcome Andrew
Take a close look at the holes with a magnifying glass. If you don't see any cracks, give the extruded dimple a rub with scotch brite or 400 grit and move on.
Personally, I would recommend building the VS first. If you do build the HS, check out the "Gotchas" thread on the "7" page. There are a few tricky spots.

Welcome to VAF, and don't panic. Debur and build on. If it were me, I'd start with a small piece of maroon Scotchbrite pad, twisted a few times on both sides of the hole. A regular deburring cutter might do just as well, just be careful. It doesn't take a lot.

I think it is much easier to debur too much than too little. There is no gain in deburring the shop head side for instance, other than just removing lose particles.

Back