What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimpled both sides of E606-PP

Straun

Working on the elevator, I accidentally dimpled both sides of the 606pp. The manual states to dimple the bottom side and CS the top side due to attaching the piano hinge.

Reading another thread someone said they tried flattening out the dimpled on the top side, but it ended up bending the spar. Is there any reason why I cant leave it dimpled and just dimple the piano hinge as well? Is there any problem with dimpling the piano hinge?

Is there any problem with dimpling the piano hinge?
This is something I would verify with Van's whatever feedback you get from forum.

The hinge is quite thick at least. Dimpling material that is thick can cause serious stress to the material i.e. making it weak. I'd also worry that the dimpled hinge wouldn't be as straight as it should be.

I dimpled my hinges-no worries

I dimpled my hinge (wasn't a error). The hinge is soft and easy to dimple. I would recommend a doubler (.025"). strip (dimpled) to back up the hinge since the hinge is soft it tends to swell when you set the rivet.

Whether I dimple the hinge or not I always use a doubler strip when attaching with 470AD3 rivets.

Food for thought.

Back