What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimple tip ribs of elevator

dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
Building an RV-10. On Page 9-9 of empennage kit figure 4 I am trying to dimple the aft end of the E-903 outboard tip rib. The skin overlies this and is dimpled to fit in the dimple of the tip rib. The last hole on the top and bottom of that rib. #40 hole. The pull rivet dimpler I have uses a finish nail whose head is bigger than the #40 hole so I can't fish it through the hole to slide through the pull rivet dimpler. How do I dimple those last two holes, one on top and the other on the bottom of that rib?

Have you used the pull rivet dimpler before? If so, take the nail (an unused one is best as after a few pulls there are serrations on the nail and is hard to get through the hole) put it through the female die. Then take the nail and put the pointed end through the inside of the hole. You may need to slightly bend the flange out to get the dimpler die in place. Place the male die on the nail and crimp.

I have Mark. I posted my question and then was watching your you tube videos of your flight while awaiting a response. I was reluctant to bend the flanges as I thought I may distort the rib too much. I will take the risk and see if I can get the tool in their.

Well I bent the flange slightly and was able to get the rivet dimple die in place and dimple the flange. The flange straightened out nicely.

Last edited:
If I remember, I made a countersink in the end of a cold chisel. I supported this in a vice and then used a hammer with the male die in the shaft from the C-dimpler. Came out close enough.

+1 Cleavland tool

A friend and current RV8 builder bought one of these little jobbers for me. It worked great.

Back