What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimple Size - Help get me started (please???)

bendun

I am about to do my first dimples today. Question:

Do both pieces being riveted together use the same dimple size? For example.. Does the skin and the rib that it will be riveted (AN426AD3-3.5) to use the same dimple size? I thought I read somewhere that the rib needs a different size of dimple to be able to mate with the skin but I can't Google has failed to reveal any useful intel on the subject.

Gary Bennett

You use the same die for all of the dimples for a -3 rivet for both surfaces. In some instances, when the metal is thicker on one piece than the other, the plans may call for countersinking the thicker piece and dimpling the thinner piece.
I suggest you find a local chapter and get a little instruction to get you started. You may also consider going to the eaa web site and watching videos on how to dimple, countersink, and riveting techniques. Practice on some scrap before you get started. Here is a link http://www.eaavideo.org/channel.aspx?ch=ch_hints

Bill.Peyton;800999 In some instances said:
This is only if the thick piece is under the thin one.

If you have a thick piece over a thin piece, and you countersink the thick one, the thin one is just left flat.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks guys.

Your tips were a big help. I have lots of spare aluminum to practice with!

Gary Bennett

Just a recommendation based on the nature of your question...

I'm sure you could probably pick up the skills a la carte from others, from videos, or from books, but if you're going to spend $100K+ on an airplane and then have the courage to actually fly in it 5-6 years from now, you'll probably be happier if you spent a couple hundred dollars and a weekend taking a basic SportAir/EAA RV or metal working build class at the outset. I did and now, 8 years later and flying, am very happy I did.

Good luck and have fun with your build!

Last edited:
SportAir workshops a good investment

+1 on the EAA SportAir workshops.

This was my initiation to the riveting world and I learned a ton building a "mini elevator". I repeated the process with Van's practice kit once I had the requisite goodies in my home shop. It give lots of confidence that you won't mess up the real deal (at least not too much)

Another builder nearby?

Another way to get some learning and practice is to find a builder nearby and offer to buck some rivets for him (or her). Worked for me. I had some knowledge of the practices involved, but little or no hands-on experience.

Back