What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimple mishap

falcon900guy

Well Known Member
We are working on the tail,section and have had a couple mishaps while dimpling the skin. Myself and my friend have, for whatever reason, come out of the hole with the dimple tool and put an extra dimpled hol next to the original hole that is supposed to be dimpled. Once this plane is put together, what is a good repair to fill the hole?

Do a search - this is probably the single most common early error.........

My view - Since you have probably punched the hole with the dimple die, you need to make sure there are no cracks or damage around the hole - blend/file as necessary. If there is no spar behind the hole then leave the dimple and fill/paint later. If it's on a spar, then flatten and/or drill out and fill later. Some might advocate putting an extra rivet either side but I think that is probably overkill.

Most important thing is to ensure that the damage has no cracks that are going to lead to problems later.

For the future - slow down........

Do a search - this is probably the single most common early error.........

My view - Since you have probably punched the hole with the dimple die, you need to make sure there are no cracks or damage around the hole - blend/file as necessary. If there is no spar behind the hole then leave the dimple and fill/paint later. If it's on a spar, then flatten and/or drill out and fill later. Some might advocate putting an extra rivet either side but I think that is probably overkill.

Most important thing is to ensure that the damage has no cracks that are going to lead to problems later.

For the future - slow down........

thanks for the advice. i started out with the die in the hole, and the skin moved just a little. it was just enough. i knew i should have checked to make sure everything was still good before hammering that baby. looks like we are good from cracks.

Dimpling

We are working on the tail,section and have had a couple mishaps while dimpling the skin. Myself and my friend have, for whatever reason, come out of the hole with the dimple tool and put an extra dimpled hol next to the original hole that is supposed to be dimpled. Once this plane is put together, what is a good repair to fill the hole?

Kenny
I did it once too. When you get to curved skins be extra vigilant. It's even more prone to hopping off the die.

Using a laser Spot?

This probably won't help with the skins jumping off the die, but has anyone ever used a spot laser on a DRDT-2 or C-Frame to locate the die? It might be a problem due to the 'Shiny" nature of the skins reflecting the laser back at you, but I think a 10 dollar laser stuck to the top part of the DRDT-2 frame and pointed at the die pin might be useful.

Michael

I found removing the return spring from the C-Frame dimpler helped.

You have to manually lift the moveable die and let it drop (better still, place it :) ) onto the fixed portion, but things don't move as you prepare to whack it.

You can them hold the two parts engaged with one hand when you use the hammer in the other hand - no "skips" this way.

Last edited:
This probably won't help with the skins jumping off the die, but has anyone ever used a spot laser on a DRDT-2 or C-Frame to locate the die? It might be a problem due to the 'Shiny" nature of the skins reflecting the laser back at you, but I think a 10 dollar laser stuck to the top part of the DRDT-2 frame and pointed at the die pin might be useful.

Michael

Yes, I used a pair of inexpensive lasers from Harbor Freight on my drdt-2. It helped speed up the alignment and allowed me to achieve more throughout when dimpling.

Thank god

Extra dimple hole that's personality. I can't even remember where mine are anymore. Extra dimple hole doesn't meN mishap it means time to stop working and take a break.

Last edited:
Back