What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimming SL-30/GTX-327

PaulR

Well Known Member
I'm in the middle of wiring and getting ready to do the IP. I hadn't thought about dimming the radio and xpndr until I really got into the schematics for them. Is it feasable to dim them off of the same dimmer that I'm using for the LED light strip on the bottom of the glare sheild? (Van's Dimmer) Or do I need to put those two items on a dimmer by themselves? The Dynons dim themselves, sort of, so they don't need one. The only other dimmer I have planned is for the map lights on the canopy deck.

not what you asked

Hey Paul:

I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, but you may prefer to have your glare shield on a separate dimmer from the instruments. I know when I am flying at night I like to have the panel light at a different intensity than the instrument lights in various situations. The 2001 skyhawk I fly at night has separate dimmer controls for the primary instruments, panel, MFD and GPS, and I find it useful to alter the lighting during different stages of the flight.

Just thought you might want to give it some thought.

Antony

I'm in the middle of wiring and getting ready to do the IP. I hadn't thought about dimming the radio and xpndr until I really got into the schematics for them. Is it feasable to dim them off of the same dimmer that I'm using for the LED light strip on the bottom of the glare sheild? (Van's Dimmer) Or do I need to put those two items on a dimmer by themselves? The Dynons dim themselves, sort of, so they don't need one. The only other dimmer I have planned is for the map lights on the canopy deck.

Both the SL30 and the GTX 327 have sensors on the front of the units and the display automatically dims. Shouldn't need a dimmer unless you just want to use those inputs on the units. I have never seen the need to have manual control of the dimming. The automatic works fine for me.

Last edited:
Huh. My SL40 auto dims (built in photocell?) and the G327 switches into a "night" mode with the LCD reversed. Never wanted to hook either one up to a dimmer, but I don't fly at night much.

The 327 install manual has info on how to set the minimum backlighting settings.

TODR

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks guys, I guess maybe I should work more while I'm at work :) than thinking about the airplane when I don't have the manuals in front of me. I thought I had read about the auto dimming on the Garmin stuff, but instead of waiting till I got home and reading, I just asked. Some day I'll learn.

Won't need to

Hi Paul,

I fly a lot at night and you won't need to have a dimmer. They both dim nicely on their own. Now the 430 is another matter. This can be manually dimmed but it is a multi step process.

Thanks guys, I guess maybe I should work more while I'm at work :) than thinking about the airplane when I don't have the manuals in front of me. I thought I had read about the auto dimming on the Garmin stuff, but instead of waiting till I got home and reading, I just asked. Some day I'll learn.

Suggestions for the 430?

I am starting the electrical also and have decided not to use a dimmer for the Garmin comm or nav (based on this post). So do you think that dimmer should be used for the 430, or just do the multistep process to dim the 430? Haven't done the research to find out if a dimmer can even be used on the 430 if desired? Thanks. Dave

327 and SL40

I've flown quite a bit at night with a GTX 327 and an SL40 in a certified aircraft, and have found the auto dimming to be entirely satisfactory. I think the SL40 has some adjustment in the setup menus to tailor the behovior of the auto dimmer, but I don't recall ever having to mess with it.

I know there are many aircraft in the fleet that have a 327, SL40, and 430 all mounted together in a stack, and I'd love to hear practical accounts of how the systems were set up with respect to dimming, and how they perform in night IFR flying.

M

Back