What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dimensions Wanted

David Paule

Well Known Member
I wonder if someone can find out these dimensions for me?

1. The wing chord, leading edge to trailing edge.

2. The chord of the horizontal stabilizer, leading edge to trailing edge.

3. The horizontal distance between the wing's trailing edge and the horizontal stabilizer's leading edge.

4. The height of the vertical stabilizer, along the aft edge of the VS-1201 skin.

5. The vertical distance from the pivot hole of the horizontal stabilizer, in F-1211C down to the bottom of the F-1211 bulkhead, ideally vertically down to the belly center line at the skin.

6. The prop diameter.

Thanks very much!

This is to help me locate where the main gear should go on a taildragger conversion. Yeah, I haven't given up that idea yet.

Again, thanks!

I beg to differ...

The drawing isn't to scale good enough for this.

Dave

The drawing in question is a full scale CAD drawing in .dxf format (Drawing Exchange File). It can be opened by a variety of CAD programs. If you can open it and learn enough about your CAD program to use dimensioning, you can get all the info you need from it EXACTLY. Here I have opened the drawing with AutoCAD, zoomed into the wing area in the top view and dimensioned the wing chord.
1118589337_LN26R-M.jpg

I have not tried the freeware that Daniel links you to, but it should work. You will need to do a little homework, but the skills learned will be very useful in a project like you envision :).

Tony

Okay, thank you both, Daniel and Tony.

I'd previously tried opening it in Solidworks with no joy. Turns out that the issue was simply file size and I hadn't waited long enough for it to load. The dimensions I got are probably close enough to size parts, and that's good enough for now.

Thanks again!

Back