What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Digitial flight data in a spin entry?

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
Somebody was going to use his RV-4 to record digital flight data from a spin entry, but somehow I managed to erase that email.

What I'm looking for is digital flight data from a Garmin or Dynon system on spin entry, preferably with AoA recorded as well. Ideally, spins would be performed towards the pitot tube and away from the pitot tube, with both upright entries and entries in turns, both over the top and out the bottom. In two spins that I've found online, there were spikes in airspeed and G load *after* spin entry -- never encountered that phenomenon before.

Thanks!

Ed Wischmeyer

Ed,

We can run those tests with calibrated boom data (Alpha, beta, CAS) as well as coefficient of pressure data and 3 axis accelerometer data integrated with EFIS. Boom is currently flying on the RV-10. It writes directly to the AOA computer so calibrated data is integrated directly with raw data. When we finish up the RV-10 work and mount the boom on the the -4, I can run your spin tests.

We modified the boom to mount using wing tip screws on any RV and it transmits wirelessly to the cockpit. Data is integrated at 50 Hz. Pics of the boom set up are on the website. Drop me an email if you?re interested in collaborating.

Cheers,

Vac

flyonspeed dot org

Back