What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Digital Levels

Coviper

Question for those who have finished their RV's.......As X-mas approaches and my family asks me what I want, I have decided to put a digital/electric level in my Christmas list. I know many builders have used the smart tool (about $150), but I notice alot of other brands are coming to market, like Craftsman. My question is: What is the best size digital level to purchase? Sould I get the smaller one, so I can get in tight places, or would a 24" be better. I know the Smart tool has one unit and it fits in larger level frames. I have not started my fuselage yet, so I don't know what would be the best choice.

Thanx

My recent experience

I just finished setting the incidence on my wings and horizontal stabilizer last weekend. I have two - four foot bubble levels, a 24 inch electronic smart level and a 12 inch machinist bubble level (extremely sensitive). I used the four footers mostly as beams to rest the other two levels on. I spent a whole week of evenings tweaking the incidence and fooling with plumb-bobs. If I were to do it all again, I'd want the same set of levels. The electronic level is very nice but it does have a small margin of error and needs resetting at the start of each work session. No big deal as it only takes several minutes to run through the simple procedure several times to insure zero degrees is really zero. The 24 inch size is very utilitarian. Again, I placed it on top of my four footers when a long span was needed. The machinist level is so sensitive that it can drive you a little nuts chasing "perfection" but very nice to have when you want better precession. The electronic level sometimes jumps between readings when you are on edge between tenths of a degree. At first I didn't appreciate the electronic level but in the end I was very glad to have it. The electronic level also helps you determine an average over the span of your wings. Even the best built wings have very slight warps, bulges and misalignments in the structure. You will see what I mean when you go through wing and empennage installation.

Cheers,

I've short digital level which which in many places. You can always put it next to longer level if needed but if it's already too big you can't get it in small places.

What comes to calibration, it takes couple of seconds... the best thing is of course that it can be "zero"-calibrated to any position so depending what you are doing you don't have to look for zero-level as with bubble levels.

Smartlevel was the first. M-D and Sears are both good, they are essentially the same. The best part is you don't have to read a bubble in bad light or out of position. The torpedo can always be placed upon something so it's a good place to start.

Buy one with a removable module...

The original SmartLevel was bought out by M-D.... glad I got one while they were relatively cheap...:)

If you do get one, buy a version with a removable module... this is usually a 6 inch level that is inserted in a rail to make the 24 or 48 inch level.

This small module is great for checking control surface deflections on assembled aircraft... worth it for this function alone...

gil A

Smart Tool

I just finished setting the incidence on my wings and horizontal stabilizer last weekend. I have two - four foot bubble levels, a 24 inch electronic smart level and a 12 inch machinist bubble level (extremely sensitive). I used the four footers mostly as beams to rest the other two levels on. I spent a whole week of evenings tweaking the incidence and fooling with plumb-bobs. If I were to do it all again, I'd want the same set of levels.

I finished setting my wing incidence last evening. I used a long three foot level with my smart tool on top, just as described above. It worked great.

Having the digital read out really helps to get the last little tweak just right.

There's a Craftsman 10" digital under the tree for me this year - I can't wait to use it on the plane and around the house.

Craftsman digital torpedo

Just happened to be at Sears last Saturday. They had a digital torpedo level (no laser) on sale for $25. Couldn't refuse at that price. I have a 2' smart level, but the older model where the digital module is not removable. It is around 8" long with bubbles at each end.

Bubble vs. digital

The "Empire" brand bubble levels sold at HD and other places claim to have 0.0005" per inch accuracy. By my calcs, that's 0.03 degrees - better than the 0.1 degree accuracy of the typical electronic levels. Of course, if I have to build my plane to a few hundreths of a degree to get it to fly straight I'll probably be flying crooked at lot.

I purchased a Craftsman 10" Digital Laser Level a few weeks ago and I am very happy with it. It is my first digital/laser level and I am still learning to use it. This model, on power up, gives you the temperature and calibrates for true level. I have turned it on many times and checked the digital reading against the bubble vial and it is right on. It also displays an arrow to indicate which way to level. A sound button turns on a beep at 0, 45 and 90 degrees. A zero button sets zero at any angle that you want zero to be. The display also reads upside down if needed. It has a magnetic base, a V slot for working with small diameter pipe, tripod base and the laser which is good for 300 ft and I have tested it to 100.

I have been using it mainly on construction projects. I can see it use for airplane use. At a sale price of $30 it was a good buy. I an now considering the 24" model. IIRC the are on sale or going on sale soon.

JF

Back