What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Digital Level... Good Deal

I agree! I wanted a digital level when I was building, but couldn't justify the expense. This one came along last year at such a good price, I bought one, even though I have yet to have a need for it....I just keep moving it around the workbench, anticipating the time when I REALLY need to level something!

Paul

Ditto on this level. It's fantastic. I bought it to do my final rigging. It works great because it's more than just a level, it's also a digital protractor.

Want to know the deflection of your ailerons? Just put the aileron in trail, zero the level, move the aileron to the stop and read the number of degrees. Very elegant and simple.

My wife was nice enough to get me the Sears 24" digital level. I had been researching them. I haven' taken the wrapper off it yet and kept the receipt. Reason being after reading and asking around it seems, as with all tools, that when it comes to digital levels some are better made than others. The reason most people buy a 'digital' level is their interested in absolute accuracy. More accuracy than eyeballing a bubble. In order to get that 'level' of accuracy the digital level you choose must have the 'absolute' ability to give 'perfect' readings, every time, thats the reason for buying one. Anything less than 'digitally perfect' and you might as well save your money and go back to eyeballing that bubble.

I figure if the reason I'm going to spend the money to go digital is I want 'absolute accuracy' each time (I'm a bit of a perfectionist and that how I'm going to justify the expense:D), beyond what conventional 'bubble' levels can offer then I should only buy one that I'm certain has the ability to do what I want it to.

So far, from my resaerch there is one brand of level that keeps being mentioned, Stabila. I had never heard of them before and ofcoarse, it's a German company and we all know the reputaion for German engineering. As usual your going to have to pay more for a quality product but if it's digtal accuracy you want then you cannot go cheap. Hers a link.

http://www.stabila.com/main.taf?p=0

Here's the best price I've found for the 24" model.

http://www.toolking.com/products/52437924.aspx?googlebase=37924

I haven't been able to find an actual digital level comparison article. Does anybody have experience with Stabila or other digital levels including the Sears brand?

Last edited:
Have the Sears 24"

I bought a Sears 24" digital level but have found my bubble level to be more accurate. The digital level can be out .040 over 2' without getting a .1 change to the reading whereas I can see that change on the bubble.

As already suggested, I will have a use for it as a protractor when required.

I figure if the reason I'm going to spend the money to go digital is I want 'absolute accuracy' each time (I'm a bit of a perfectionist and that how I'm going to justify the expense:D), beyond what conventional 'bubble' levels can offer then I should only buy one that I'm certain has the ability to do what I want it to.

Absolute accuracy? Not so much! Better read:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=14997&highlight=precision+machinist+levels

Back