What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Different ways of attaching the windshield

Darren S

Well Known Member
Hi,

I am considering a paint and polish finish for my -7. I found a picture of a -9A that I like. See this thread. Scroll down about half way on the page. Sorry I don't know how to post a picture.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...?q=aircraft+paint+and+polish&gbv=2&hl=en&sa=G

I like it but want to know what other alternatives there are for attaching the windshield. For my slider, as you all know, there is the fiberglass layup. This can get kind of messy and needs to be painted.

I tried to fit some of the rubber edging (the type used to seal between the wings and the fuse) around the bottom of the windshield. Just to try it. This may work but a larger piece is needed.

Any suggestions, links or ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Darren

You'll notice that the windshield fairing in that photo appears black. It's either painted or black Sikaflex or both. I have seen formed aluminum fairings for the windshield, too, but that's a whole different skill.

I'm aiming toward a partially polished look on my -10. I'm trying to avoid that silver paint that you see on the fiberglass parts; I can get fiberglass plated but not 'in place', which means that I can get tips and fairings finished and then have them plated before attaching them but the whole canopy shell will be impossible so I'm trying to come up with a paint scheme that looks natural and yet covers the shell and cowling (I don't want to plate the cowling because I don't trust a plating job not to be affected by the heat). What I'm suggesting is carefully planning a paint scheme to cover the non-polished bits. There are a lot of schemes that involve a black anti-glare patch on the nose or a color transition on the front deck.

Can you share more on "plating" of fiberglass parts. I've never heard of this being done.

Thanks,

Darren

Yes, you can Chrome Plate fiberglass.

I don't know how well temperature change from altitude; cold to hot while things expand and contract, but look at the Chrome (spray) on this part.
Stunning. Wonder how much to Chrome the wingtips and add some red reflectors...hehehe....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt0affP9_9M

Back