What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Different Hartzell Prop Governor

clutch22

Well Known Member
My engine was pulled off a different airplane and the prop gov came with it. It is a Hartzell but isn't the same model that van's sells for the -10. The linkage is also oriented 90 degrees from what I see in the plans. Will this work? Does the prop care what governor is controlling it?
I don't remember the model number but I can go look at it and take a picture depending on the consensus of my question.

The prop doesn't care what governor is controlling it. Most governors allow you to change the orientation of the arm to fit your control linkage. Send me a picture.

Recommend calling a prop shop with the model number and asking. Some governors and acro props work backwards from what the RVs use. Larry

My engine was pulled off a different airplane and the prop gov came with it. It is a Hartzell but isn't the same model that van's sells for the -10. The linkage is also oriented 90 degrees from what I see in the plans. Will this work? Does the prop care what governor is controlling it?
I don't remember the model number but I can go look at it and take a picture depending on the consensus of my question.

It's probably an older generation of Hartzell governor. Give Hartzell a call. I've found that they are very accommodating and helpful.

The prop won't care, but you may need some assistance in getting the appropriate hardware to make it work in a RV-10. Even the current model for the RV-10 S-1-32 needs a arm from Hartzell that Van's doesn't supply.

That's the old config hartzell with the side shaft. It won't work with the standard cable routing. Also, it just about blocks the cooling inlet. Rebuild/repair expensive too. I'd find another governor.

That's the old config hartzell with the side shaft. It won't work with the standard cable routing. Also, it just about blocks the cooling inlet. Rebuild/repair expensive too. I'd find another governor.

Thanks all for the help. I plan to run my cable above the engine to keep it away from the exhaust. I hadn't thought about it maybe being larger than the standard gov and blocking the inlet. I may try to sell this one and get the correct one.

Here are some pictures:
16%2B-%2B2

Part# F-6-28
16%2B-%2B1

I had the same one that came with my engine. It had just been rebuilt and I hated not to use it but I just couldn't figure out how to make it work. The worst part of it is, if you did get it configured, then wanted to replace it, everything would have to be reconfigured again!

Back