What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Did you modify your fwd fuselage ribs?

JakeLewis22

Well Known Member
I received my panel from Stein last week and I need to modify the three forward fuselage ribs (F-7108A, F-7107L&R).
IMG_0171.jpg

This picture I found on Steinair's web site is exactly what I had in mind doing but I thought I'd ask how others have addressed this problem.
panels4.jpg

Pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Since there was no replies to my request, I thought I'd pass along what Stein told me on the phone today in case someone wants to know. He said that riveting in an "L" shaped gusset made from approximately .060" aluminum, like the one shown in my previous post, is the "unofficially" endorsed method. Van's does not endorse such modifications but they used the same method when they installed an EFIS in one of their own aircraft.

I felt good about my plan to go this route but I thought I'd ask since a search of the archives yielded nothing on the subject.

Yes I also modified this way

If you are looking for counts then Yes I also had to modify the ribs this way.

for planning purposes...

how far back did you modify those ribs?

Seems like it'd be much easier to modify those when I had the parts sitting on the bench, much like most other things. For maximum flexibility I'd like to go ahead and do this to the ribs before they're installed.

For now the parts are sitting on the shelf.

Thanks in advance!

how far back did you modify those ribs?

Seems like it'd be much easier to modify those when I had the parts sitting on the bench, much like most other things. For maximum flexibility I'd like to go ahead and do this to the ribs before they're installed.

For now the parts are sitting on the shelf.

Thanks in advance!

I agree Bill, that's why I wanted to have this figured out before I riveted anything in. It's all cleco'd together right now and my plan is to take all the measurements and then disassemble it for modifications.

As far as how much you need to cut, that depends on your avionics and their placement in your panel.

Back