What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Detachable Control Stick for RV-12 Copilot?

Bill_H

Well Known Member
Patron
Has anyone looked into modifying the copilot control stick to make it detachable? The requirements would be a no-tool-needed design that could be easily removed and attached in flight. The stub end, when stick is removed, should not project much if at all. No restriction in control travel. Full strength. No non-attached parts that could fall back into the sub-seat area (so if bolts or pins are needed, they would be attached to the detachable stick by a riveted wire or something.)

The difficulty seems to be that the curve is already started where a cut would be made. There would be several perhaps easier options if we were dealing with a straight section. Any ideas for using the existing stick?

Bill H
N412BR reserved. Working on fuel system in the fuselage.

I'm interested in the same thing. (I would have taken the RV12 on an elk hunt if I could've used that right seat space for cargo) I think I'm going to just order a stick assembly from Vans and modify it, then install it when I do the annual inspection. Maybe cut it off close to the control end, weld on a receiver and bolt it through with an AN3?

Sorry to skip part of your question Bill, the no-tool, detachable-in-flight part of the design is not critical for my needs. I'll let you know what I find as I dig into this further.

Back