What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Departure Checklist Technique...Flow Patterns

TomVal

Well Known Member
FWIW…

Techniques to avoid pilot induced takeoff / departure mishaps start with good checklist discipline. Perhaps the most important application of good checklist discipline is to DO NOT HURRY.

Many pilots also use acronyms just prior to taking the runway as a final check of critical items for departure. I would like to mention an additional technique that I use called “Flow Patterns”.

As an ex-military / airline type, I like to use a last look flow pattern that is custom to my RV-12 cockpit. By “flow” I mean the hand and eyes move in a smooth continuous motion overlooking critical cockpit items. For example on my RV-12 (non-standard cockpit) I use the following flow:

Fuel Valve – Push Open
Flaps – Set for Takeoff
Pax – Confirm “Ready for Takeoff” & visually check seat belt for securely fastened
Canopy – Closed and Latched
My Seat Belt – Recheck for securely fastened
Trim – Set for Takeoff
Flight & Engine Instruments – Normal, No Warnings
Lights – On as required
Camera – Transponder ON
Action – Cleared for Takeoff

This last look “flow pattern” is a counter-clockwise flow that can be accomplished in about 15 seconds. Good checklist discipline accompanied by a backup flow pattern or acronym can go a long way towards avoiding a pilot induced surprise during the takeoff and departure phase of flight.

Regards,

Last edited:
It's still a ways away for me, but in my concept cockpit, I'm utilizing flows. Primarily for emergency procedures, and secondarily for normal procedures.

I have received mixed signals about checklists as I have built time and ratings. In getting my seaplane rating, it was all acronyms. My commercial examiner was anal about checklists for everything. My instructor said that was ridiculous because in an emergency you probably won't have time to pull out a checklist and find the right page. In unfamiliar and complex planes, I use their checklists. In familiar planes, I use the modified GUMP check, which is GFMP for takeoff and landing. On the -10 with the VP-200, it's Gas (fullest or preferred tank), Flaps, Mixture, Prop, on the -9A FP it's Pump instead of Prop. I throw in a Doors/Canopy, Seatbelts, Trim for Takeoff. I say those out loud and touch the appropriate control, and usually 2-4 times when landing, once before entering the pattern to neutralize my flap switch if necessary.

DAGO, good post! Like a lot of guys here, I also have a little experience in checklists over the years - some planes with good checklists and some with really bad ones.

I see a lot of confusion sometimes over how flows are thought of by some (in my experience as a recreational pilot and instructor as well as a professional pilot), and I'd just like to give a couple thoughts. A checklist or a flow or an acronym is not an mutually exclusive exercise. Flows and acronyms support professional checklist policies. It's just that 75 percent of certified general aviation light plane checklists are written poorly and beg for errors and to be rushed through as they are not operationally written. Rather, they must have been written by non flying engineers and proof read by lawyers. Not trying to insult engineers or lawyers, it's just they do other things much better than make checklists. Some of the worst checklists out there are in business jets and turboporops as the aircraft is complex enough to really need good checklists but the aircraft sometimes come from a general aviation heritage by manufacturer or have increased in complexity over time.

The worst way to accomplish a checklist in an operational phase of flight (taxi, takeoff, approach, etc) is to do the old "read-do" method. It's a mind gobbler, attention diverter and time waster not to mention not enjoyable. Much better to do some self training and know the plane by heart and accomplish a known set of tasks and then confirm with the checklist. This is effectively a "do-read" checklist operation, or a flow. We can easily remember the "flow" by memorizing an acronym for example that jogs our memory for a particular flow that supports a particular phase of flight.

Since we have control of the checklists and installations in a RV we can take some extra time in operationally important checklists that follow. The way most professional flight operations work is you get into the aircraft and you do a "flow pattern" that you memorize and is detailed in the flight manual, for each portion of the flight. Then you back up the flow with a checklist. It's a lot faster and efficient to do the things required, taking a half second for each selection along the way to make sure you are getting the intended results, and then to back up the flow with the checklist. This does require self discipline and practice. It's not uncommon for professional pilots with a break in their flying activity (of even a week or so if they are within their first 500 landings on a new aircraft) to sit down in a chair and then practice their "normal" flows as well as emergency flows (memory items) for emergencies by visualizing them like a professional athlete visualizes a set of plays. For example, before each takeoff I even do this as I taxi my aircraft I visualize what I will do to efficiently accomplish an engine failure after takeoff or rejected takeoff - it's a mental flow of an emergency flow I might have to do. It's different even than a takeoff briefing, it's actually silent review and visualizing it, not just saying it. No time to pull out a checklist and read it and then do it - the flight's over in 10 seconds anyhow.

In short, the pros have proceduralized flows and acronyms as one of the best ways to effectively implement well designed checklists to be operationally supportive of safe and efficient in actual normal and emergency operations. The devil is in the details however. Good flows and acronyms take a little while to develop and implement to be effective and they "always always always" rely on a disciplined pilot and a checklist to back them up.

Last edited:
DAGO, good post! Like a lot of guys here, I also have a little experience in checklists over the years - some planes with good checklists and some with really bad ones.

I see a lot of confusion sometimes over how flows are thought of by some (in my experience as a recreational pilot and instructor as well as a professional pilot), and I'd just like to give a couple thoughts. A checklist or a flow or an acronym is not an mutually exclusive exercise. Flows and acronyms support professional checklist policies. It's just that 75 percent of certified general aviation light plane checklists are written poorly and beg for errors and to be rushed through as they are not operationally written. Rather, they must have been written by non flying engineers and proof read by lawyers. Not trying to insult engineers or lawyers, it's just they do other things much better than make checklists. Some of the worst checklists out there are in business jets and turboporops as the aircraft is complex enough to really need good checklists but the aircraft sometimes come from a general aviation heritage by manufacturer or have increased in complexity over time.

The worst way to accomplish a checklist in an operational phase of flight (taxi, takeoff, approach, etc) is to do the old "read-do" method. It's a mind gobbler, attention diverter and time waster not to mention not enjoyable. Much better to do some self training and know the plane by heart and accomplish a known set of tasks and then confirm with the checklist. This is effectively a "do-read" checklist operation, or a flow. We can easily remember the "flow" by memorizing an acronym for example that jogs our memory for a particular flow that supports a particular phase of flight.

Since we have control of the checklists and installations in a RV we can take some extra time in operationally important checklists that follow. The way most professional flight operations work is you get into the aircraft and you do a "flow pattern" that you memorize and is detailed in the flight manual, for each portion of the flight. Then you back up the flow with a checklist. It's a lot faster and efficient to do the things required, taking a half second for each selection along the way to make sure you are getting the intended results, and then to back up the flow with the checklist. This does require self discipline and practice. It's not uncommon for professional pilots with a break in their flying activity (of even a week or so if they are within their first 500 landings on a new aircraft) to sit down in a chair and then practice their "normal" flows as well as emergency flows (memory items) for emergencies by visualizing them like a professional athlete visualizes a set of plays. For example, before each takeoff I even do this as I taxi my aircraft I visualize what I will do to efficiently accomplish an engine failure after takeoff or rejected takeoff - it's a mental flow of an emergency flow I might have to do. It's different even than a takeoff briefing, it's actually silent review and visualizing it, not just saying it. No time to pull out a checklist and read it and then do it - the flight's over in 10 seconds anyhow.

In short, the pros have proceduralized flows and acronyms as one of the best ways to effectively implement well designed checklists to be operationally supportive of safe and efficient in actual normal and emergency operations. The devil is in the details however. Good flows and acronyms take a little while to develop and implement to be effective and they "always always always" rely on a disciplined pilot and a checklist to back them up.

Eddie,

Great presentation on the interrelationship between the use of flow patterns and the operational checklist. This discipline has served the military and airlines well over the years. Perhaps part of the reason why the recreational pilot has been slow to adopt the practice is because as you have stated it takes self-discipline and practice to remain proficient in the use of flow patterns. For the weekend (or less frequent) aviator it is much simpler to utilize a standard checklist and just “read and do”…nothing to memorize.

Your input on this topic has been well stated. Single pilot operations are potentially fraught with checklist omission errors. Adding flow pattern discipline to the cockpit management skill set provides an important link to ensure the aircraft is in the proper configuration for whatever phase of flight.

In particular, for those of us so fortunate to own our own aircraft, it would be worth the effort to develop a custom set of flow patterns to supplement the operational checklist…it would be the next best thing to having a copilot.

Regards,

Last edited:
Back