What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dented Tailcone

sc_pilot

Well… through a dumb bonehead move, I dropped the folding leg of my engine hoist into the tailcone on my rv12. 🤦‍♂️ This was just after we finished riveting the tailcone onto the fuselage and was cleaning up. I’m assuming this skin needs to be replaced? The scratch is almost half through the metal and the dent is pretty deep as shown.

I’m willing and inclined to drill out all the rivets and replace the side skin rather than do some sort of patch that I have to look at. Would the underlying structure be ok if I drilled out and replaced? Or too great a risk in oversizing holes? This skin rivets to the stabilator bracket and the longeron. I kinda don’t want to have to deal with waiting on vans to have to crate a new side skin as I’m sure that’s not in their standard online web order process.

Since I’m building EAB and not ELSA:
I’m also willing to try hiding it by cutting it completely out and putting an access panel there. I just have to be careful how low I cut so I don’t get into the J stiffener on the bottom corner skin. People at my airport tend to think an access panel wouldn’t structurally compromise the tailcone. One person suggested trying to tap out the dent and leave the scratch for filling with paint. I was worried about it cracking and spreading over time.

I have an Email into tech about it but wanted to know if anyone else has ran into major dings like this? Talk about taking the wind out of my sails after what should have been a very happy day of joining the tailcone 😕

Page: 10iS/U-08
Skin: F-1280-R. Dent between frames F-1208 and F-1209.

Thanks
Jacob

Attachments

• IMG_3420.jpeg
    IMG_3420.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3421.jpeg
    IMG_3421.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3422.jpeg
    IMG_3422.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3423.jpeg
    IMG_3423.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3425.jpeg
    IMG_3425.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3428.jpeg
    IMG_3428.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3429.jpeg
    IMG_3429.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3431.jpeg
    IMG_3431.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3433.jpeg
    IMG_3433.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3434.jpeg
    IMG_3434.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 126
See what Van's has to say. You might be able to get away with riveting a doubler on, but I wouldn't trust that like it is. If you're not willing to settle for that - order replacement parts now and begin disassembly while you wait for them to arrive.... In the end, it's your decision and the desire to get in the air is compelling but I'd advise you to be focused more on safety than how long it takes.

Change it. The skins are structural in these planes and you don’t want to start out with one that is pre-buckled!!!!

It is so easy to drill out these pulled rivets that it makes enlarged holes a non issue for most things.

Be ready for a reaming on the crating and shipping charge!

Back