What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dent in aileron

I have a couple of dents in the bottom skin on my left aileron. I'd appreciate suggestions on what material to use to fill them in. My first thought is Bondo but there's probably a better option. Thanks

Steve Emmett said:
I have a couple of dents in the bottom skin on my left aileron. I'd appreciate suggestions on what material to use to fill them in. My first thought is Bondo but there's probably a better option. Thanks

My preference is NAPA MicroLite light weight body filler from NAPA auto stores. #6370. Is light blue, dry's real fast, and sticks to aluminum real well.

L.Adamson

You get what you pay for with body filler. Don't be afraid to spend. Also, I'm sure others will have different opinions, but most folks don't like to put filler on bare metal. Better to shoot some good primer first, then fill. JMHO.

No Bondo.... Do nothing for now. When you install your fiberglas tips and fairings use whatever you decide for them to fill the dent's, ie I'm using West Systems Epoxy and Super Fil. JMHO
Larry

szicree said:
You get what you pay for with body filler. Don't be afraid to spend. Also, I'm sure others will have different opinions, but most folks don't like to put filler on bare metal. Better to shoot some good primer first, then fill. JMHO.

Absolutely true, but to finish the point, the ONLY primer to use between the aluminum and the filler is 2-part epoxy primer. That's the only way to insure a good bond between the primer and the aluminum AND the primer to the filler. You would also want to observe standard cure times in that the filler should be applied over the primer within a few days before the epoxy primer case hardens. After the filling operation is done, you then spray another coat of epoxy primer over and beyond the filled area.

If you use a standard acrylic primer or sealer, adhesion between the filler to the primer would be problematic for long-term durability.

mark manda said:
somebody said you can't get Vari Prime in CA now.

Variprime isn't an epoxy primer anyway so that doesn't apply to this question but perhaps there may be other alternatives for self-etching primers that might still be available unless new regs have swept all related products out of the state. (No surprise there :( )

By epoxy primer, I'm referring to types such as PPG's DP-40, and for Duponts equivilant, their 2510S and it's variants depending on what you want to topcoat it with. That's how you'll get the best adhesion between the aluminum to the primer to the filler to the primer to the paint.

Back