What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deer Strike Repair

artrose

RV 6A Deer Strike Repair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm looking for someone in the San Antonio, or surrounding area, interested in helping me repair my 6A. Eight weeks ago I hit a deer after touchdown. The strike was mid span on the right wing. The main spar appears to be straight except for a wrinkle in the last outboard section. The wing will need a few new ribs and reskinning. The fuel tank is damaged and will need to be replaced. The other damage is to the rear spar attach point. The attach point doublers are bent and there is some wrinkling of the lower skin. The doublers will need to be replaced as well as the lower skin. The interior seat pans and other interior panels are straight, no damage. If there's anyone out there interested, or you can point me to someone, please give me a call, or send an email or pm here. Any and all advice is welcomed. The airplane is located at 23R Devine, Tx, and insured.

Jim Meyer
210-204-0720
[email protected]

I read the title of the thread and wondered if this would be another rant about the dangers of low flying... :)

Not a rant....a call for help. Need to find someone who can help me repair the airplane. Honestly, hitting a deer really sucks. I'm thankful the damage was not any worse than it was, and we were not hurt. It's a very helpless feeling when you see it coming and there's nothing you can do except ride it out.

Not a rant....a call for help. Need to find someone who can help me repair the airplane. Honestly, hitting a deer really sucks. I'm thankful the damage was not any worse than it was, and we were not hurt. It's a very helpless feeling when you see it coming and there's nothing you can do except ride it out.

I know the "feeling". Hit one last year on a motorcycle at 65 mph. It was out for suicide, and I had only a fraction of a second to think about it. My 700+lb. bike, was totaled. I was half totaled. I now hate deer. I think they're stupid animals!

L.Adamson

There is a ton of RV experience in Texas of course - for a good A&P who might take on such a repair, you can try Randy Richmond in Fort Worth (817 - 491-3792).

It almost sounds like you might want to consider a QB replacement for the wing - Van's might tell you if that is possible.

Paul

My biggest fear for night landing in our airport as deer would gather together in the evening and they are the dumbest when it comes to traffic.

I am glad that you are OK and you get your plane flying again soon.

Quick Build wings??

Paul alluded to quick build wings. Do you know if you have quick build wings? If you do, then you can reorder the skins and they will match because they are prepunched and formed from Vans. Forward ribs too.

This guys is pretty far for you, but he helped a friend reskin his wing on a 6A and he did good work and has built a 6A.

Louis Palmeteri - He is in Decater, tx... which is pretty far for you. Can you still fly the plane? Taking the wing off is major pain.

940-577-5415 or [email protected]

Good luck.

Paul alluded to quick build wings. Do you know if you have quick build wings? If you do, then you can reorder the skins and they will match because they are prepunched and formed from Vans. Forward ribs too.

My 1996 RV6 kit (non quick build), also had pre-punched wing skins.
What is different about the 6's compared to newer kits, is that the wing spars and center bulkhead were matched drilled for bolts...........but not with the precision of CNC equipment, that can easily make exact duplicates. Therefor, a new spar won't just slide into the existing bulkhead, with the holes all lining up. Looks like possible re-skin is the best way to go.

BTW--- I replaced a wing skin, and it did line up perfectly. They were CNC punched.

L.Adamson

Not a rant....a call for help.
Art, please don't think I was making light of your situation... I know exactly how you feel, and how happy you are to come out the other side in one piece. I've hit a seagull at 600' in a Cessna 150, and one time was convinced that I was going to send a dog to it's next life while landing a wooden homebuilt on a tight grass strip... The dog ran out in front of the plane and disappeared under my nose... How I didn't hit him continues to be a mystery.

Remember, everything is repairable. The important thing is that you're here to do it! :)

RV 6A Deer Strike Repair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm looking for someone in the San Antonio, or surrounding area, interested in helping me repair my 6A. Eight weeks ago I hit a deer after touchdown. The strike was mid span on the right wing. The main spar appears to be straight except for a wrinkle in the last outboard section. The wing will need a few new ribs and reskinning. The fuel tank is damaged and will need to be replaced. The other damage is to the rear spar attach point. The attach point doublers are bent and there is some wrinkling of the lower skin. The doublers will need to be replaced as well as the lower skin. The interior seat pans and other interior panels are straight, no damage. If there's anyone out there interested, or you can point me to someone, please give me a call, or send an email or pm here. Any and all advice is welcomed. The airplane is located at 23R Devine, Tx, and insured.

Jim Meyer
210-204-0720
[email protected]

Jim,

I'm sure you have given the plane a careful look, but the rear spar attach being damaged concerns me greatly. You took a ferocious impact if the wing was deformed enough to cause damage to the attachment and fuse.

Please look very carefully at every bulkhead and rivet in the fuse. I would consider the wing to be a total loss, no way I would want to fly a wing and spar that endured that much punishment.

Matter of fact........I would be tempted to encourage the insurer to total the airframe. This may happen anyway once they see labor/parts estimates for the extensive repairs. I know this sounds awfully drastic, but your plane was in a major accident. Get some very informed opinions before you make any decisions about repairing your -6A.

Above all, glad you were not injured!

Last edited:
"The dog ran out in front of the plane and disappeared under my nose... How I didn't hit him continues to be a mystery." Did this happen to be a jack russell that was at ft langley? I had the exact same thing happen in a 172 there.

"The dog ran out in front of the plane and disappeared under my nose... How I didn't hit him continues to be a mystery." Did this happen to be a jack russell that was at ft langley? I had the exact same thing happen in a 172 there.
Nope... It was something German Shepherd-sized on North Pender. My best guess is that he made a U-turn and high-tailed it into the tall grass at the side of the runway. I never saw him after we landed, and I did walk back to make sure I didn't just knock him into the grass.

I have the wing with fuel tank and all to help with a proper repair... just let us know if we can help Jim.

Best,

Jim,

I agree with Sam, you should consider a new wing and do a detailed inspection of the airplane. I just moved to San Antonio and would be glad to provide some assistance however I am still moving and it will be about a month before I can get a hall pass. What airport are you at.

Pat Stewart

Jim,

I'm sure you have given the plane a careful look, but the rear spar attach being damaged concerns me greatly. You took a ferocious impact if the wing was deformed enough to cause damage to the attachment and fuse.

Please look very carefully at every bulkhead and rivet in the fuse. I would consider the wing to be a total loss, no way I would want to fly a wing and spar that endured that much punishment.

Matter of fact........I would be tempted to encourage the insurer to total the airframe. This may happen anyway once they see labor/parts estimates for the extensive repairs. I know this sounds awfully drastic, but your plane was in a major accident. Get some very informed opinions before you make any decisions about repairing your -6A.

Above all, glad you were not injured!

Back