What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Decisions?

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
I envy some of you RVer's. You have lots of local expertise and different RV to visit. I know a couple local RV owners around here RV-6A, -6, -4, but no -7's and no IO-360's. "yakdriver" from Idaho has been a great info source building his RV-7 but I don't want to bother him everyday and I would like more data points to ponder. I tried the search function, but didn't find what I was looking for or even what questions to ask...SO, I'll pose this request to the wealth of knowledge known as VAF.

Our skypark sale is closing May 1st, so will have funds available to order a QB. 3 month leadtime so need to order soon. What do I order? on the surface this seems easy, but! I am planning a ordering Fuse, wings and finish kit and having Partain Tansport deliver it. What should I be thinking about when placing the order?

I am thinking QB -7, night VFR. IO-360 parallel valve, C/S. I don't know what engine to specify to get the right mount or smooth cowl.

auto pilot? only used 1 for heading hold, so I don't even know what I want or need. I am a fair weather pilot, so IMC/IFR won't be a concern. Heading hold may be nice. What's a simple answer?

Lights, strobes? I don't normally fly at night, but having lights would be nice just in case. I like the wingtip setups, also thinking LED position. Is there a LED Tail light?

AAAaaaagh, my head is going to explode!

I'm a lowtime, low aviation knowledge PPL in rural Montana, so excuse my ignorance.

My idea of the perfect RV is not popular any more. Everyone wants big engines, heavy props, auto pilots, glass panels, etc. My -6 weighs in at 1024 lbs.(with paint) and flies beautifully. I have an O-320, 3-blade Catto prop, Dynon D-10, dual com and dual GPS, nav lights and strobes. I had an auto pilot but didn't use it so I took it out. Keep it light. Keep it simple!
My $.02 worth of advice.

Brian

I know this will not help much, but.....when I asked these same questions 2 plus years back I got many/varied/all over the map advice. It is true that one persons poison is another cake.

Here is what I decided on.......My main mission is cross country/IFR capable. ...Tip up canopy/nose roller/electric trim......ECI IO 360 EI/FI......Dynon EFIS/Dynon EMS.....Garmin Centric NAV/COM centered around the GNS 430.....Trio Avionics A/P both wing leveler and altitude hold. I have led nav lights / with a taxi light in one wing and a landing light in the other. Strobes in the tail and left and right wing. I choose leading edge install of the landing / taxi lights.

Brian choose your mission and build accordingly. Plus get advice from those that are flying.........and be somewhat suspect of those of us still building. I have been real high on the potential of the emagair ....E/I Mags but as we know the last few weeks have really been enlightening from the real world experience.

Frank @ SGU RV 7A.....wiring...fiberglass....$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:
Mel said:
......Keep it light. Keep it simple!
My $.02 worth of advice.

thanks, Mel. I understand the KISS principle. I'm going with the Big HP, heavy prop because speed is part of why I'm building. I can throttle back if needed, and I can get to the Gym to offset the weight penalty. My panel will be very plain but most standards. Dynon 100 & EFIS, single comm, 1 GPS, Xpondr and not a whole lot else. so no Autopilot would be simpler, how easy is it to add later?

I guess one question for those who are flying or almost. what would you delete or add to your order. Like skip the Vans Tailwheel setup and order Bell replacement & silver bullet linkage?

Last edited:
That's great in theory, but speed vs. hp just doesn't add up. HP helps with take off and climb, but very little with speed. How much speed do you need? I can cruise 201 mph tas @75%, and I have a climb prop. I operate out of a 1500' strip in Texas.

hydroguy2 said:
I guess one question for those who are flying or almost. what would you delete or add to your order. Like skip the Vans Tailwheel setup and order Bell replacement & silver bullet linkage?

Spring for the "deluxe" fuel caps. :)

edit: may not be available on the quick builds

Last edited:
I suppose speed isn't the correct term. Performance? With the elevation and heat we get in Montana & Idaho, Horsepower is your friend. In & out of Johnson Creek in August comes to mind. I've been in both a 150hp FP and a 180hp CS and I've already decided to go with the IO-360 C/S. didn't mean for this to turn into a big debate. Just looking for info on what to think about prior to placing my order.

John, thanks that's the kind of input I'm looking for.

Last edited:
hydroguy2 said:
In & out of Johnson Creek in August comes to mind. I've been in both a 150hp FP and a 180hp CS and I've already decided to go with the IO-360 C/S. didn't mean for this to turn into a big debate.
Brian-ANY RV (with pretty much any hp) will handle Johnson Creek / Big Creek altitudes with no problem unless it's 95 degrees. Sure, more is nice to have in the backcountry but not needed on an RV. The 182 I flew handles those strips with power to spare, even thought its climb rate was nothing like an RV's. My RV-9 with an 0-320 fixed-pitch is being built, in part, on the basis of that mission. Back to your other questions though.

If you don't know much about engines (like me) call Bart at Aerosport Power. He'll tell you exactly what type of finish kit (mount and cowl) to order so that you have the maximum flexibility later.

Re: autopilot--they can be added later pretty easily even if it is more convenient to do before bottom skins are riveted. I'm adding mine later for $$ reasons, but will have one primarily to serve as a safety device for inadvertant IMC.

I've seen one led tail light-the Thor LLC version. He used to have an ad on this site. I haven't heard any reports on it yet. I'd put a full complement of lights in both for visibility and in case you ever want to sell the plane later.

Except for the Van's kit configuration all of these other little things can be decided/purchased later. In fact, I'd encourage you to leave your options open as long as possible because what you want and what you decide you need will change a LOT over the build process. Good luck.

Last edited:
Take your decisions when they come. Now, the only decisions you seem to face are:

Tail or nose;
Slider or tip-up;
QB or standard;
Electric trim or manual;
Type of fuel caps and fuel level senders if opting for standard wings
(QB means regular wings and float senders only);
To prime or not to prime;
What kind of primer to use should you decide to prime.
(OK, I'm only teasing with the last 2)

You might consider holding off on the finish kit at this time. Engine choices seem to be doubling every 2 years. With higher gas prices and the addition of alcohol to gasoline (not avgas) and the diesels coming into vogue, there may be more options for you in 2-4 years. Your finish kit gets you the mount, cowling and other features needed for a specific engine configuration. If you miss-judge now, you will be storing the items for several years and then exchanging them with Van's for a restocking fee and transportation again BOTH WAYS. Also, you will be storing that exspensive and delicate canopy for a number of years. Who knows, maybe more folks will start complaining to Vaan's about the poor quality of thier fiberglass parts and you will benefit from better manufacturing techniques by then. :)

I bought my full kit at once and was forced to select an engine and prop configuration before I started building and well before I had sufficient knowledge of the options, benefits and repurcussions. Luckily, I nailed it and was still intent on the same configuration 3 years later.

Yes, an auto pilot can be added later, in fact, you can even buy the mounts from TruTrak now and install mounts and wiring as you build. I think others offer this ability as well. This would make the sunk costs about $50 and allow you to judge the need for the whole $4-6000 Sheboygan once you start flying and realize what your future mission really will be (reality often times diverges from dreams). Duckworks Lights are simple to install with the wings built and the tips off. Again, consider adding the wire now as cheap insurance against a more difficult addition later. I can't address the LED question.

Jekyll

Thanks everybody. I got caught up in the moment thinking I must decide NOW. I realize it's a journey and should pace myself.

I'll warn the driver of an impending head explosion upon delivery
Tony, my head should be good to go by the time your driver gets here. But no guarantee I won't act like a 6yr old on christmas.

ALP2000-I agree RV's have plenty of excess power. We were in a Bonanza last year at JohnsonCreek with several RVer's. It was a thrill to watch them blast out of there.

Jekyll-I've made most of the easy choices. Tail, tipup, QB, manual trim, minimal rattlecan primer,paint by me,VFR. Guess it's just some of the finer points I'm trying to get a handle on. Ordering the finish kit along with the rest to save shipping cost and I'll be ready to work on some of it by fall '07. the plan is to have it flying by summer '08....well that's the plan anyway. That may be a aggressive timeframe for my 1st RV, but I have lots of free time.

p.s. got my "N" number confirmation letter today...woohoo!

Congratulations and be assured that whatever decisions you make, you won't be disappointed.

Back