What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Decisions, decisions

acam37

Well Known Member
I'm currently restoring an RV-4 and even though the paint job is still several months off, I'm having a hard time deciding what colors to use.
First off I want to go with the military scheme with invasion stripes, but with modern colors. Blue on top, silver on bottom, checker tail. I found a color I thought I liked so I painted my flight helmet to see how it looked in the light. (Toyota blue ribbon metallic base/clear). Now I find myself looking at every blue car going down the road wondering if that color looks better?
Is this a normal reaction or am I over thinking it? I guess I'm afraid of buying the paint and then wishing I went with a different shade of blue.
http://[URL=http://s1361.photobucket.com/user/aconner7/media/image_zps4061ebb3.jpg.html][/URL]
I need some words of encouragement.

Arlie, I feel your pain. It took me several years to finally settle on the exact colors I wanted. I ended up painting sample colors on the discarded lightening hole blanks from my slow build kit. I kept these samples in the truck with me and as I drove around, whenever I saw a car with what I thought was an attractive color / combo, I could pull out the painted disk and compair.

My paint supplier was very helpful in supplying sample quantity in small amounts.

Not uncommon! I spent about two years visiting every car lot in this side of the state looking for the perfect colors. Car salesmen just don't understand that you want a color sample but not the car:D

Nah!!

Where there is doubt there is no doubt!

Actually if its blue its not blue enough, but it should be yellow.... or red!!

The truth is deciding on a paint scheme is as difficult as deciding on which RV to build..... it took me ages between the 6 and the 4. Now i love my yellow 4.

But as I said above if you have doubts.... its the wrong colour!

I am about to cover my Loehle 5151, it will be like yours in military colours silver and either blue or red tail and nose with invasion stripes. However, as I have decided to cover it with Oratex the choice is limited and the blue looks better than the red. So, Oratex have removed the decision a bit for me.

I do like the helmet colour though.

Paul, that's funny because this is exactly what I've been doing. I'm to the point that I'm thinking of taking some test drives and parking a blue Toyota next to a blue honda at the dealership next door. I like the color I chose, except in low light it almost looks black. I'm glad to hear that other people feel my pain.
I don't want to be like some builders and build a beautiful plane only to have the paint job look like it was done by a 3 year old with Krylon. On the other hand I can't afford a $10,000 paint job so I'll have to brush up on my painting skills and do the majority myself.

Arlie,

Don't worry about it! There has been lots of discussion on the forums about painting your own project and many of us have done it successfully. In a nut shell, I would recommend you make a friend who owns a auto body shop and get as much information out of him as you can and then purchase all the materials from him. Offer them a ride when it is all done as well.

.......I like the color I chose, except in low light it almost looks black. I'm glad to hear that other people feel my pain.
I don't want to be like some builders and build a beautiful plane only to have the paint job look like it was done by a 3 year old with Krylon. On the other hand I can't afford a $10,000 paint job so I'll have to brush up on my painting skills and do the majority myself.

Paint a sample part like in the photo. Leave it exposed to weather for 2 months in your back yard (Florida sun, rain, no ice:D) And yes, I know the stripes are not straight,

27yu5xt.jpg

33uwe4k.jpg

Then paint your plane yourself. You can do it. Prep is 95% of the work.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=100165&highlight=paint

Paint scheme

Well, we finally made an executive decision to stay with the original chosen color of blue. Everyone I showed the completed flight helmet to loved it and said that was a beautiful color.
So now it's on to finalizing the scheme. I know there are a lot of the military WWII p-51 with invasion stripes themes on the -4's and -8's, but one more wouldn't hurt. There are none in east Texas. I know just about all the RV pilots over here.
I'm former Navy and would like to incorporate my old squadrons VRC-50 and VS-33 into the mix. Maybe the squadron logo or one of our old planes tail number. Being that both squadrons I was assigned to are retired it would be a cool gesture to honor them.

Back