What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Decisions before ordering the empennage kit

Newbee here??I did a quick search; but looking for some experienced, real time builders.

In ordering your -8 empennage; what do you need to consider. [excluding tools and workshop ? I have those researched]

Just call VANs ? send me the -8 emp kit? Here is my credit card number?

[Man, I sound like a rookie?]

Building the tail kit is an great learning experience . I attended Alexander Technical builder assistance program ,this gave me a big boost at the start of the project . Their add is on this site. ( Well worth the money ) If you go to one of these assistance programs , don't buy tools until you finish . I bought a lot of tools I didn't need and have never used.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
Yes, it is that simple. And while you are on the phone, save some time and order two empennage kits, given the reasonable likelihood you are going to screw up things! Rather than wonder if you should scrap a piece or accept the dings and slight misalignments, you will have fresh pieces already handy and won't have to take time to wait on replacement parts. Once you get started, you won't want to stop or slow down waiting for replacements!

And, too, order some "oops" rivets with your kit. And your might order a practice kit (or practice on some of the scrap metal they provide in the kit).

Seriously, it does not appear to be too uncommon to screw up something. I thought I was one of the lucky ones and, though I messed up my share of rivets and stuff, thought that with some body filler, I was going to get my tail finished without needing anything other than some oops rivets. Wrong. When I went to close up my left elevator, the skins didn't all come together nicely. So, yep, the whole thing is pretty much scrap metal now. I will cut her open and save the control horn, but the rest is destined for scrap. Bummer, but at least the prices for replacement parts are reasonable, though the waiting a week or two to get them is going to kill me! At least the second time around, I will be less likely to have some dings from a slipped rivet gun and I know now what to look out for to prevent the skin alignment problem, so I should end up with a nicer-looking airplane.

Have fun.

training kit not spare empenagge

I really messed up my training kit last weekend, I was very glad my empenagge was safely sitting on the table untouched. A quick post here and two people summed up what I hope was my problem (too high air pressure). I had taken the EAA workshop last year and simply was too excited to get started.

As my wife suggested, order new training KITS and when you get it right start the plane. She also said post a question here, this forum provided answers within and hour.

Thanks Terry and Bill!

Keith

Back