What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Decatur, IL??

tkatc

Well Known Member
On our way to OSH, sometime this weekend, we are stopping in overnight to visit my brother who lives in Mt. Zion (Decatur). Would be easy to land at DEC but all the hotels are booked for some sort of event. Can anyone recommend an airport/town/lodging close by? Fuel will have to be available because when I launch out of there I will be non-stop to RIPON!!!

There are several airports around DEC, but all are gonna be 30-45 drives to Mt. Zion. Springfield (KSPI), Champaign (KCMI), Bloomington (KBMI-where I live), Taylorville (KTAZ-where my in-laws live), Lincoln (KAAA-where my sister lives), and Mattoon (KMTO-where my wife's extended family resides), are all close enough to drive to Mt. Zion, and all should have hotels available.

If you come to Bloomington, let me know...I typically have hangar space, and may be able to get you a discount on gas. Though even the discount here will probably be higher than the self-serve at Lincoln and Taylorville.

:cool:

Thanks Chad! I am thinking Bloomington would be best. TAZ was in the running but there isnt much in the way of lodging, I like to keep my wife in nicer places while flying as it enhances her experience.

It would be nice to meet you. Maybe even see your RV. I see that you have a sale pending, that's good...and bad. I assume you are not going to OSH?

I keep thinking this trip is going to be a walking VAF forum....so many people I'd like to meet.

Sounds good! Let me know when you'll be in, and I'll see what I can do for hangar space for ya. I work at the FBO, Image Air...we'll take care of ya!

I will be at Oshkosh all week, driving up either Sunday or Monday. I'll be there with my dad, and my friend Ben (713R on VAF) who has a 7 project with a rotary on it.

My 7 will still be here, so if you have time, we can head over to my hangar for a cold drink if you want!

PM or email me, and I'll shoot you my number.

:cool:

Back