What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deburring Tool - double Sided

CyberWarrior101

Has anyone used the double sided deburring tool? Looks like a drill but will deburr both sides so that you dont have to do both individual? Most of what I can see at the moment on the RV10 empenage requires a 30 or 40 size drill so I was wondering if anyone used this type of deburring tool or can you recommend one?? I'm looking for one that i can put in a small hand drill to speed up the process.

Burraway

The tools you refer to are the Burraways , made by Cogsdill Tool in SC. ... some of the aviation tool suppliers carry them, or sometimes you can get them thru a local machine tool jobber. I found them to work superbly. I would not build a metal plane w/o them. I can't imagine how many hours they saved me compared to deburring each side independently.
Be careful with the 3/32" Burraway... they're not repairable (per the factory) and if you drop your air drill with the Burraway in, it will snap off in a heartbeat. (AMHIK) And as you know, they're NOT cheap. Also. make SURE you get them with an aluminum cutting blade. If you get one with a steel cutter blade, it takes too big a bite out of aluminum and will break after about 50 holes. (again, AMHIK). :(

Cogsdill

When I started my 7a, I thought that having all the building tool "bells and whistles" was the way to go....I was wrong. The Cogsdill deburring bits are a time saver, sure.
Adjustable blade tension and everthing! $110 for the two, a #30 and a #40. When the #30 bit broke after two hundred holes or so, and the #40 bit broke a few months later, well, I wasn't a happy camper.
So there you go. Put the money toward a pneumatic squeezer.:D
My two cents.
Regards

They are expensive for what they look like. I have a #40 and a #30. I don't think they are intended for constant use and if the tension is not set correctly they will chamfer the hole pretty bad. Now with that said, occasional use where you just can't get to the back of the hole to deburr, they are the right tool for the job. Pushrod tubes and U channel come to mind where I thought they were great. YMMV.

Has anyone used the double sided deburring tool? Looks like a drill but will deburr both sides so that you dont have to do both individual? Most of what I can see at the moment on the RV10 empenage requires a 30 or 40 size drill so I was wondering if anyone used this type of deburring tool or can you recommend one?? I'm looking for one that i can put in a small hand drill to speed up the process.
Many builders seem to overthink the whole concept of deburring. With a background in production, I have used just about every type of deburring tool known to man. Most times, you will find the average worker simply twisting a large drill bit through the fingers to debur a hole. The whole goal is to break the sharp edges, that is all. One thing I can say with certainty, every worker I ever knew hated and shunned using the Burraway and the tool crib couldn't give em away. The worker quickly discovers the shaft will eventually gall and warp, and sooner or later the blade will stick. Also, it takes significant time to insert the Burraway into each and every hole, operate it, then remove to repeat the cycle in the next hole. Whew. To debur large areas of sheet, we would might use a 2" scotchbrite disc attached to a right angle die grinder. We might use a rotary ball file or stone....anything to get the job done....without generating an unacceptable mini countersink that a Burraway is prone to do. Oftentimes, we would use this handy device. It is nothing more than a chunk of vixen file glued to a piece of wood. On RV's I wouldn't recommend using it if you wanted to preserve the pure alclad surface, but if you are going to prime anyway, it might be just the ticket to quickly debur a large number of holes.

20qns5g.jpg

I like the Burraways. You have to set the tension low and work up to where it removes the least possible amount of material. I haven't found them to be fragile at all. Oil them occasionally and clean them with a blast of shop air.The #30 size seems to work the best, but that's what's needed the most often anyway. Nothing beats a Scotchbrite disc on a die grinder but sometimes a Burraway is just the right tool.

Back