What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Deburring Firewall - What Tool Works Best?

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
What tool did you find worked best for deburring rivet holes in the firewall? For edges and large holes, sandpaper works fine, but I haven't found the right approach for rivet holes yet. I tried a cone shaped stone (for a die grinder) chucked into a slow drill, but the stainless just ate it up. A drill bit was moderately successful, although for freshly drilled holes with large burrs, it struggled to cleanly shave the burr off (same for my normal deburring tool I use on aluminum).

Did you find something that worked well?

What tool did you find worked best for deburring rivet holes in the firewall? For edges and large holes, sandpaper works fine, but I haven't found the right approach for rivet holes yet. I tried a cone shaped stone (for a die grinder) chucked into a slow drill, but the stainless just ate it up. A drill bit was moderately successful, although for freshly drilled holes with large burrs, it struggled to cleanly shave the burr off (same for my normal deburring tool I use on aluminum).
Did you find something that worked well?

I use the edge of a cutoff wheel in the Dremel. Just takes a light touch.

Thanks Mel! Went right out to try that and it worked great! I used a cutoff wheel in my right angle die grinder with the air pressure turned down super low.

Back