What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dear Garmin experts

cgeyman

Well Known Member
My new panel install suffered a shocking injury. A hot wire from the battery fell onto my avionics stack, housing a new Garmin GTR 200 and GTX 335 transponder. The short current scorched the aluminum trays holding them both, and melted the insulation off the ground wires on the back of the units before I could turn off the battery. The units are dead, not powering up now. Is this salvageable? I will call Garmin central tomorrow to see if it makes sense to mail both units back to Olathe for autopsy or repair. I am hoping this polarity reversal only burnt out a diode and hopefully replaceable electronic parts, and did not fry the motherboard and basically everything inside. Hope Justin sees this from Garmin G3x.
Cal

Flat rate repair on the GTR 200 is $375.00
On the GTX 335 it is $1045.00

They switched to a flat rate repair policy many moons ago.

Flat rate repair on the GTR 200 is $375.00
On the GTX 335 it is $1045.00

They switched to a flat rate repair policy many moons ago.

Many folks complain about flat rate repair, you'll be taking full advantage of that policy!

Radio and XPDR Repair

My new panel install suffered a shocking injury. A hot wire from the battery fell onto my avionics stack, housing a new Garmin GTR 200 and GTX 335 transponder. The short current scorched the aluminum trays holding them both, and melted the insulation off the ground wires on the back of the units before I could turn off the battery. The units are dead, not powering up now. Is this salvageable? I will call Garmin central tomorrow to see if it makes sense to mail both units back to Olathe for autopsy or repair. I am hoping this polarity reversal only burnt out a diode and hopefully replaceable electronic parts, and did not fry the motherboard and basically everything inside. Hope Justin sees this from Garmin G3x.
Cal

I agree with the above comments. You will want to send these in to us and they will get torn down completely, and repaired. You can set this up with us directly by calling as at 1-866-854-8433. It should not take more than a few days to turn them around, so you will be back up and running pretty quickly.

Let us know if you have any further questions or issues that come up.

Thanks,

Justin

Is it a flat rate, or is it a minimum?

Its a fixed price regardless of what is wrong with it.

Regardless if it takes then 30 seconds to fix it or they have to completely rebuild it, they charge the same flat rate. Some customers lose, some customers win. It averages out over time for Garmin.

One price for everything

I did not know that! Surely there is some limit (i.e., I'm assuming you can't just send in a charred twisted hunk of melted transponder).

I wonder if it's like a dollar bill, where you just have to have 3 quarters of it in order to get a new one.

Its a fixed price regardless of what is wrong with it.

Regardless if it takes then 30 seconds to fix it or they have to completely rebuild it, they charge the same flat rate. Some customers lose, some customers win. It averages out over time for Garmin.

I did not know that! Surely there is some limit (i.e., I'm assuming you can't just send in a charred twisted hunk of melted transponder).

I wonder if it's like a dollar bill, where you just have to have 3 quarters of it in order to get a new one.

Not so. For money, its like building a an experimental aircraft to get a repairman’s certificate. 51% or more must be present to redeem.

Back