What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dealing with wires too large for a D Sub pin

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I am wiring up my Par100EX audio panel. The connectors are D Sub High Density style and as such, use very small pins. The largest wire that fits in a pin is 22g. VPX power planner wants to use 20g for the amperage required for the panel. So I'm trying to figure how to wire this up. I think a short piece of 22g from the pin in the panel and then connect that to a 20g to the VPX but the short 22g is still a smaller capacity than the 20g. So perhaps there's another option I am missing?

Trim the strands on the 20 gauge until it fits into the high density d sub.

I second the motion. As far as using the short length of 22awg, that is fine, too. The short length is what makes it acceptable. I was installing Cessna service kits on Caravans for a while and when heavier gauge wiring went through a lighter gauge connector Cessna always called for short (less than 2") lengths of wire to fit the pins.

There are pins for D-sub connectors that take larger wires. They do require heatshrink on them to prevent shorting to other pins.

If you're interested, I'll look through my reference materials and find the part number for you...

There is another name for a short length of smaller wire in the middle of a run of larger wire: a Fuse.

Positronics

I am wiring up my Par100EX audio panel. The connectors are D Sub High Density style and as such, use very small pins. The largest wire that fits in a pin is 22g. VPX power planner wants to use 20g for the amperage required for the panel. So I'm trying to figure how to wire this up. I think a short piece of 22g from the pin in the panel and then connect that to a 20g to the VPX but the short 22g is still a smaller capacity than the 20g. So perhaps there's another option I am missing?

See this post:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=681503&postcount=6

I am at my bench here at SteinAir and I have in front of me a pack of 4 HD male d-sub pins (Garmin P/N 336-00044-01). These are the pins that can be used in this case. We don't know where we got them because they aren't in the install kits and Garmin uses the "short length of lighter wire" to 2 or 3 pins on the rack connector. Unfortunately, a special die is required for the Daniels crimper. If you are interested send me a PM.

same question but for regular d-sub; not the HD type. I'm trying to squeeze two 22awg wires into a single pin (times 9). I'm actually trying to change a connector on a Dynon SV-NET-SPLIT from male to female; the current male connector is done as described (two into one pin) but I can't figure out how to replicate it without making a crumpled mess with stray strands of wire sticking out of it. Any advice?
thanks!

I doubt you are going to be able to get two 22Awg into one regular pin. I would put a single wire into the pin and crimp, and then use a butsplice a few inches from the pin (outside any enclosure) and connect two wires to the pigtail that goes to the pin.

We use 20AWG in the planner for anything up to 5 amps to keep things simple - same with the wiring harnesses.

In this situation the easiest thing to do is just remove a few strands from the wire and it'll fit right into the terminal.

If you want, we can send you a 22AWG wire with a power terminal crimped onto it. Just send us an email at support 'at' verticalpower.com .

Back