What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dead Battery

Cement85

My concord RG-25xc has been around for at least 10 years, gave it a charge and then took it into a local shop. I was pretty sure it was gone, they confirmed it.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to use and what will kill me?

The Concord replacement is $188 at aircraft spruce.

Looked at Odyssey, price is better but much less A/H

Didn't like the hook up of any of the Gills.

The only Non-tso battery I am interested is the werker from Battery plus,
had 9A/H more than the Condord for $100 less. Battery Plus showed the WKDC12-33j as the aftermarket replacement for the RG-25xc.

Louise's RV-6 has the Werker. I don't know how old it was when I got involved in the maintenance of th plane about three years ago, but we changed it with another Werker then, and it is still going strong.

Personally, I am an Odyssey fan - I was just too tired of laying under that panel to do the necessary battery box mods to install one then!

Paul

Tempest TD35-12 battery from batteryspec.com, for $79.00 + $25 for shipping. I replaced my RG-25xc with one of these and it works flawlessly. Battery terminals are reversed, so you might have to make up some new cables if there's not enough slack to reverse the terminals. Dimensionally its almost exactly the same as the Concorde.

Be careful with cheap batteries. $188 for 10 years ain't so bad.

Hmmm. I'd have to concur with this suggestion. Amortized over the life of the battery that's less than $20/year. I wouldn't go cheap on a battery nor relish the contemplation of fabricating changes simply to save a few bucks.

Hmmm. I'd have to concur with this suggestion. Amortized over the life of the battery that's less than $20/year. I wouldn't go cheap on a battery nor relish the contemplation of fabricating changes simply to save a few bucks.

Other than cost, what's the difference between the batteries?

The Odyssey battery has worked very well on my rocket. I am amazed at the performance of this battery, given it's physical size. It will be TEN pounds lighter then the Concorde that it is replacing. In an RV4 this is a huge savings. All you need are a couple of light spacers on either side of battery and it will fit right in your current battery box with minor, or perhaps, no modifications.

Battery

Walmart Lawn Tractor Battery. $25 for one with 285 Cold Cranking Amps. It started my 0-360 in 20 deg weather with no pre heat. Never had a problem with it....

concord RG-25xc

A friend with RV6A concord RG-25xc went down and he got a Concord today at Batteries Now with more cranking amps in Jasper, IN for $65.00.
Squeak

Back