What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

De-Rusting Tools

iwannarv

Well Known Member
I have a couple flush rivet sets and bucking bars that need a quick touch up after sitting in a moist environment (barn room). What's the best way to re-polish some light rust off of these? Lightly touch them to a scotchbrite wheel?

Light touch with the wheel is best. It shouldn't take much, and keep them turning. A "home remedy" rust remover is to soak in 1/3 blackstrap molasses, 2/3 water for a few days. Believe it or not, it works!

Bob

Steel parts on a scotchbrite wheel (or any other type of abrasive for that matter) that is later intended to finish aluminum aircraft parts is ill advised due to embedding very small steel particles in the aluminum.

Plain old toilet bowl cleaner will remove rust. Soak for a few minutes then wash with hot soap and water. Dry and apply a little oil or WD-40.

Soak in Simple Green for a few days. The regular type, not the one for aviation. Then wash with water and coat in light oil (wd40 or rejectX)

Vibrating Tumbler

Harbor Freight sells rust cutting media made to remove rust without rounding off edges. I have disassembled and removed the rust from many second hand tools using my vibrating tumbler with this media. Just wash and dry the media between uses.

Steel parts on a scotchbrite wheel (or any other type of abrasive for that matter) that is later intended to finish aluminum aircraft parts is ill advised due to embedding very small steel particles in the aluminum.

I hadn't thought of that, thanks for the tip. I'll try some of the simple green or toilet cleaner remedies and see how they come out.

...was about the start a thread on the same topic. The yoke on my squeezer which has been around for at least a few years un-rusted owned by tother folks...started getting rust after being in my Garage for just a few weeks. :(

Back