What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

data plate

edward7048

Well Known Member
Who's name should be as the manufactur when the RV-12 is
an E-LSA. I have heard that Van,s is it and I have heard that
my name is right, which is right.

Just so you are clear - only3 fields need to be completed on the data plate for E-LSA. All of the others can be left blank (and many say SHOULD be left blank.)
They are
Manufactured By : Van's Aircraft inc.
Model: RV-12
Serial #: 120???

Also remember: All data on the dataplate, 8130-6, and registration must match, exactly!

Why?

Is there an issue with putting the other data? Empty wt. and gross wt. These items can be obtained as you know and the gross wt. is established by rule (but there is a move a foot to change the gross wt. upward to include more planes but this might take awhile).

Anyway, if the other information is not required all the better.

There is no problem with including other information. It's simply not required.

If you include the empty weight, then add something to the panel, you have just created an unnecessary problem for yourself.

Not true!

If you include the empty weight, then add something to the panel, you have just created an unnecessary problem for yourself.

Many airplanes have an updated W&B. The weight listed on the data plate is simply what it was at certification.
Certified aircraft don't change the data plate every time the empty weight changes.

Completing the data plate

Is there something we need be afraid of?

I somehow don't see the advantage of not filling out the data plate completely. Seems to me the average person (future buyer?) would see it uncompleted and wonder what else is uncompleted on this airplane.

Just wonderin' :confused:.

Tony

"not filling out the data plate completely...."

OK, Tony, what about Date of Mfg?

What date is that? Date of Registration? Date you consider the build process complete? Date of Airworthiness Certification? Date of First Flight.

I'm assuming Date of Airworthiness Certification, and since my date is VERY uncertain, and has been sliding steadily to the right, I have delayed having the plate engraved until the last minute. But, then again, the DAR is going to be looking for that plate.

Do you fill out Day/Mo/Year? or just Month/Year? or just Year? What happens if (easily can happen), the DAR inspection slides a few days into the next month? What if he flunks your inspection and comes back a month or two later?

Also - what about the weights - English or Metric?

Just askin'..... As usual, the devil is in the details.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Officially the date of manufacture is the date of certification.
Since it is optional on the data plate, you may put whatever you like. Most people just put the month and year. That's usually pretty easy to nail down.

Weight units, your choice.

Date of Manufacture

I, too, was confused by the catch 22 of wanting to put the date of A/W certification on the data plate but also needing to have the plate engraved and installed ahead of the inspection.

So...I scrutinized the documentation from Van's and on the FAA Form 8130-15 (block 4) is a "Date of Manufacture" attested to by Van's along with serial number, etc.

That is the date I put on my data plate, but like Mel says, you can put what you want. I just wanted a "Date of Manufacture" that appeared on an official form somewhere that I could point my finger to.

If the FAA "official" date of manufacture is the date of A/W compliance then they would probably know why it is different than what is requested on the official Form 8130-15 as certified by the manufacturer. I don't.

Tony

I, too, was confused by the catch 22 of wanting to put the date of A/W certification on the data plate but also needing to have the plate engraved and installed ahead of the inspection.

So...I scrutinized the documentation from Van's and on the FAA Form 8130-15 (block 4) is a "Date of Manufacture" attested to by Van's along with serial number, etc.

That is the date I put on my data plate, but like Mel says, you can put what you want. I just wanted a "Date of Manufacture" that appeared on an official form somewhere that I could point my finger to.

If the FAA "official" date of manufacture is the date of A/W compliance then they would probably know why it is different than what is requested on the official Form 8130-15 as certified by the manufacturer. I don't.

Tony
The date of manufacture on the -15 should be the date of the "kit" manufacture.

Back