What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Data plate

wirejock

Well Known Member
I fabricated the data plate from .020" stainless then had it powder coated and finally laser etched. Color underneath is the final color vinyl sample. Came out nice.
20230901_154739.jpg

I fabricated the data plate from .020" stainless then had it powder coated and finally laser etched. Color underneath is the final color vinyl sample. Came out nice.

Is the etching deep enough to perm mark into the SS plate in case the PC burns away in a post crash fire? If you haven't, I would double check with DAR if he'll accept this.

Etching

Is the etching deep enough to perm mark into the SS plate in case the PC burns away in a post crash fire? If you haven't, I would double check with DAR if he'll accept this.

Yes. Through the powder coat plus a couple thousandths into the stainless. That was important but I will ask the DAR.

Lasee

What kind of laser did you have access to?

I don't. Colorado Laser Engraving has more than one. I didn't ask how many but he did say he used one for items with powder coat and a different one for bare metal. He said both plates the laser engraves a couple thousandths deep into the metal. If the plate burned and the powder coat burned, the etching would still be visible.
I mailed mine to him. I just happened to be in town so I picked them up. I'm sure he would return if you provided a self addressed postage paid envelope.
Nick Hays
Colorado Laser Engraving
[[email protected]
1442*N Taft Ave
Loveland, CO 80438

That’s nice. I like it Larry. I ordered one from mydogtag.com, which looks similar, but is just all SS, engraved. I like the contrast with the painted base on yours. I might try to rub paint into the engraving to make it more visible, leaving the base just shiny SS. Having only three lines of data, as required as a minimum, is another thing I like.

Back